Using Global Origin in Drawing Setup

PowerCADD & WildTools
Alfred Scott

Post by Alfred Scott » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:04 pm

Ah, found it. It’s the Drawing Benchmark tool in TopoTools.

It’s used to place a graphic image of the drawing origin, but no text table.

It’s starting to come back...

Alfred

Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:12 pm

Alfred,

There is also a text report generated by the Centroid Tool.

Alfred Scott

Post by Alfred Scott » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:06 pm

Jonathan,

I don’t understand what you are asking for. Perhaps you could take a sample drawing and mark it up with what you are asking for, with a sample table, if not complete then at least with a few sample entries.

Typically a dimension point object would show the x and y coordinates as they would show in the Edit Window. These objects can also have a Z height; should this be shown as well?

So you could post this drawing so all could see and comment on it, or just email it to me. Personally, I prefer to have as many eyes on this as possible.

It’s critical for me to hear from users what they want and what is important. There have been many tools that are for things I know nothing about (stairs, trees, doors, windows, etc) where I’ve depended on people to guide me. Matt Arnold and Greg Johnson on stairs, for example.

Alfred

rjpotter

Re: Using Global Origin in Drawing Setup

Post by rjpotter » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:27 pm

Alfred,

Example is attached.

The coordinates are created using the Wild Tools Dimension Point Tool.

The table would ideally be created by selecting these and activating a command "Create Table".

It would useful if the coordinates can be named beforehand, whether automatically or manually, so that their position on plan can be cross-referenced with the table.

From our point of view a Z-value is not needed but could be useful for others.

Jonathan
Attachments
Coordinates Example 1 Coordinates.jpg
Coordinates Example 1 Coordinates.jpg (20.64 KiB) Viewed 13827 times
Coordinates Example 2 Names.jpg
Coordinates Example 2 Names.jpg (36.51 KiB) Viewed 13827 times
Coordinates Example 3 Table.jpg
Coordinates Example 3 Table.jpg (23.09 KiB) Viewed 13827 times

Alfred Scott

Post by Alfred Scott » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:38 am

Jonathan,

Interesting stuff. To refresh my memory I had to go back and read the WildTools manual for dimension point and topo point objects in the TopoTools section of the documentation. Please go back and revisit this so we can all be on the same page.

Topo point objects are a special type of dimension point objects and these already have the ability to have a point number and a description, which is something you are looking for but these objects must have a Z height, which you are not interested in. Of course, for your own convenience you could use a Z height of zero.

Another consideration: I don’t much like the complication of creating a new menu command that would add menu clutter on everyone’s machines when it is only used by a few people.

We already have an Analyze Topo menu command, and we could have a new sub menu item for Analyze Topo —> Create Report.

I remember there has been some discussion from Malcolm Woodruff and others about dealing with center lines of roads and perhaps this could be included in this concept.

I would like to make this as general as possible so it could be used for a variety of purposes.

I expect the report should be done with an advanced text object where we can have tabs to space out columns of text and with a title of “XXX Report” as a place holder so you could edit it yourself in the drawing.

And this would allow you to edit out zero Z heights.

And please remember that an advanced text object has almost nothing to do with PowerCADD and everything to do with Apple’s programming. Which is wonderful because you copy this and paste in Pages, work on it there and then copy it back into PowerCADD. That’s probably also true with the Numbers program. It’s really a universal container for text. Apple uses these things all over the place, for email and even this posting in a forum.

Alfred

rjpotter

Re: Using Global Origin in Drawing Setup

Post by rjpotter » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:00 pm

Alfred -

The Topo Point Tool looks a good starting point if X and Y coordinates can be included, so perhaps a combination of the Topo Point Tool and the Dimension Point Tool.

Analyse Topo > Create Report sounds good to me!

Jonathan