Trim to Locked Layers

Tell us what you want
mlsherrod

Trim to Locked Layers

Post by mlsherrod » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:55 pm

I often lock layers so I can work with other multiple layers without modifying the locked layer. I DO want to be able to trim to locked layers, I believe this was something I used to be able to do. Perhaps there is a toggle button for this option, if so, I have not found it. I'd like a toggle button in the preferences to allow trimming to locked layers or not. Would be a nice feature :)

Alfred Scott

Trim to Locked Layers

Post by Alfred Scott » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:06 pm

Mike,

I believe you will find that the WildTools Trim tool and others like it will do this.

I remember when I got started on WildTools there was a debate about whether this should be implemented at all, but I think if you can see it, the tool should let you trim to it, but it should never change an object on a locked layer, even if the tool is set to trim-both.

I remember people freaking out with excitement about this when I first did this.

Alfred

mlsherrod

Trim to Locked Layers

Post by mlsherrod » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:16 pm

Thank you for the reply. I've found (and just tested) I can trim to other objects when "Edit all layers" is OFF; though I can not trim (using WildTools) to layers that are "Locked". Mine might be broken :(

I DO agree, you should be able to work with locked objects (measure to, trim to, use snaps; from locked layers or when Edit all layers is OFF.