Update of PowerCADD for MacOS Catalina

PowerCADD & WildTools
Jlennon1

Post by Jlennon1 » Wed May 29, 2019 9:18 pm

1. Will engineered software issue an updated version prior to the next major OS?
2. Will the next version have modern translators for REVIT, in both directions to allow for interoperability.
3. Translator for apps like Fusion360
4. Will the user interface be updated including tool tip rosettes user defined.
5. Will modern architectural tools be incorporated, such as tools sets for creating and editing walls and make the file structure not layer based, but object based, which means there have to be commands for architectural objects.

RRichards

Post by RRichards » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:15 pm

Getting a functioning forum back online is probably the single most important thing for many of us using PCADD. The second, of course, is the future and the ability to use new hardware that will require MacOS Catalina. Later this year I have to purchase a new machine. My iMac is 6 years old and the built-in monitor expired last year so I'm using 2 external monitors. My MacBook Pro is 7 years old and is starting to show its physical age—no wonder since I have carried it everywhere almost every day.

I know companies can't discuss the future, but it is a huge question.

Cheers,
Ralph

David Jones

Post by David Jones » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:30 am

When PowerCADD 10 is released, will it be able to utilise the speed advantages of the multiple cores in the 2019 MacPro under MacOS Catalina. I think it is implied that upon release of the 2019 MacPro, Mojave will still be supported which might be a recognition that 32 bit support might be needed for a bit longer.

David Jones

Post by David Jones » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:13 am

I've checked with Apple in Australia. If you look here, it confirms that the 2019 MacPro will support Mojave:
https://www.apple.com/mac-pro/specs/
then scroll down to Operating System about three quarters down the page where it confirms that the 2019 MacPro supports Mojave.
This is good news as far as I'm concerned.

Alfred Scott

Post by Alfred Scott » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:21 am

David,

The number of processors doesn’t matter in PowerCADD.

A second processor is used for printing, while the first processor runs PowerCADD.

The only part of PowerCADD/WildTools that uses all the processors and graphics cards is with the 3D views in TopoTools where you can look at topo drawings at any 3D view. That’s because the view in the dialog uses OpenGL which is used by all 3D modeling programs. But even then, the topo view is highly responsive on even the slowest machines.

For PowerCADD, the clock speed of the processor is the most important thing.

But until we have a 64-bit version of PowerCADD available, which might be a year away, you will need a machine running Sierra, High Sierra or Mojave.

Alfred

David Jones

Post by David Jones » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:38 pm

Thanks Alfred.

Braise2fe

Post by Braise2fe » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:48 pm

Alfred Scott wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:21 am
David,

The number of processors doesn’t matter in PowerCADD.

A second processor is used for printing, while the first processor runs PowerCADD.

The only part of PowerCADD/WildTools that uses all the processors and graphics cards is with the 3D views in TopoTools where you can look at topo drawings at any 3D view. That’s because the view in the dialog uses OpenGL which is used by all 3D modeling programs. But even then, the topo view is highly responsive on even the slowest machines.

For PowerCADD, the clock speed of the processor is the most important thing.

But until we have a 64-bit version of PowerCADD available, which might be a year away, you will need a machine running Sierra, High Sierra or Mojave.

Alfred
Hi, i'm a french User, since 1999, i have to change my macbook 2010, but i'm not sure if Powercadd 9.1.8 is running with Mac OS Mojave?
Does anybody confirme me if it is ok ?

todd@engsw.com
Site Admin

Post by todd@engsw.com » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:56 pm

Braise2fe,

The current version of PowerCADD, 9.1.8, supports Mojave.

Todd

todd@engsw.com
Site Admin

Post by todd@engsw.com » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:12 pm

1. Will engineered software issue an updated version prior to the next major OS?
2. Will the next version have modern translators for REVIT, in both directions to allow for interoperability.
3. Translator for apps like Fusion360
4. Will the user interface be updated including tool tip rosettes user defined.
5. Will modern architectural tools be incorporated, such as tools sets for creating and editing walls and make the file structure not layer based, but object based, which means there have to be commands for architectural objects.
Jlennon1,

Though I can't answer all of your questions, I can address #1 and #4. We are working on the 64-bit version of PowerCADD which will be compatible with Catalina, 10.15, but it will not ship prior to Catalina. We have been working on the internals of PowerCADD and refining its user interface, including full Retina support. At this point we don't have a release date but you can expect a release in 2020.

Todd

Braise2fe

Post by Braise2fe » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:46 pm

todd@engsw.com wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:56 pm
Braise2fe,

The current version of PowerCADD, 9.1.8, supports Mojave.

Todd
Thank you Todd for your help.