Update of PowerCADD for MacOS Catalina

PowerCADD & WildTools
EduardoJB

Re: Update of PowerCADD for MacOS Catalina

Post by EduardoJB » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:26 pm

Does anyone know if I'm already running Mojave in the computer AND also in a Parallel virtual machine, but want to upgrade to Big Sur (or the next OS) leaving the Parallels virtual machine to run PowerCADD, can I do the upgrade and the virtual machine will remain as is? Or... if I buy a new computer this year that will come with Monterey, and want to migrate from the older one, will it migrate the Parallels virtual machine with Mojave and PowerCADD without problems? Thank you...

pjmeli

Post by pjmeli » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:11 pm

Catalyst wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:03 am
Paul, with PC9 running on an older mac mini, are you able to work off the same Mac computer you use running post Mojave software? I was thinking about doing the same thing, but not sure how the two would interface.

Steve H
I just saw this post 8 months late…apologies
Not sure what you're asking though and I suspect you've figured it out by now…

I'm running PowerCadd on the 2014 mini (Mojave)
I run everything else on my 2018 Mini (Catalina)
I have a Dropbox on the 2018 Mini with all my files on a 1TB external drive (Thunderbolt), and I connect via SMB from the older Mini.
The drive that came with the Mini (256GB SSD) has never been used except to install Catalina on the external SSD which is paired with a 1TB spinner for backup using Time Machine.

I've been using this setup for two years with no issues.

I'm jonesing for an M! Mini to play around with, will probably go for it when the compatible version of VMWare comes out…

Regards
Paul

pjmeli

Post by pjmeli » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:09 pm

EduardoJB wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:26 pm
Does anyone know if I'm already running Mojave in the computer AND also in a Parallel virtual machine, but want to upgrade to Big Sur (or the next OS) leaving the Parallels virtual machine to run PowerCADD, can I do the upgrade and the virtual machine will remain as is? Or... if I buy a new computer this year that will come with Monterey, and want to migrate from the older one, will it migrate the Parallels virtual machine with Mojave and PowerCADD without problems? Thank you...
I think as long as you're running an Intel Mac your Mojave VM will run on it in Big Sur
If Monterey is M1 only I don't think older VM's (pre-Catalina) will run…

I have a Mohave VM (VMWare Fusion) running on Catalina on a 2018 Mini and it's snappy, faster than native on my 2014 Mini…

I've read It's possible to get OSX VM's to run on x86 hardware in Linux but it's a bit like a Hackintosh, which I tried for a while but found them to be too buggy and a pain to maintain/upgrade, and it's against Apple's license to run OSX on non-Apple hardware.

Paul

David Jones

Post by David Jones » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:31 pm

Monterey supports a lot of Intel Macs models so is not M1 only.

David

EduardoJB

Post by EduardoJB » Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:04 pm

Thanks everybody. The new version of Parallels supports the M1 chip, but apparently not yet Big Sur, so it will probably not run Monterey either. And... it probably won't run Mojave either. Apparently their goal was to be able to run Windows. I wrote them asking this days ago and have not received any answers. I will probably end up buying a 2014 Mini, install Mojave, and use it only for PC, and leave it in the office. I'll, of course have my backups – (30 years of projects drawn in PowerDraw and PowerCad) and I suppose I could also store them in iCloud (which I don't use much anyway). I need to upgrade my OS since other software need the latest OS. If I buy a new M1 laptop, I can use the laptop I now have just for PC so I can use it at home. Carrying two laptops to the office every day will be quite inconvenient.

https://www.parallels.com/blogs/parallels-desktop-m1/

David Jones

Post by David Jones » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:19 pm

I have been using PowerCADD in Mojave in Parallels in Big Sur on my MacPro 2019 and Derek knows that it works fine.

David

EduardoJB

Post by EduardoJB » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:44 am

Great, David. But at the end, the future seems to be the M1 and I think that future will probably hit us sooner than we’d like to think. Sticking around with old OSs have never been my ideal, so I will probably end up with a machine running PC and Mojave and other programs (Adobe, Office, etc), and a newer one with the same other programs, until those programs won’t work with Mojave anymore. Then, if that happens (and sooner or later it will), I’ll have to rely on Parallels. That is, if a miracle doesn’t come our way and somehow PC resucitates.

David Jones

Post by David Jones » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:02 am

I would assume that Apple will need to support Intel chips for a least a few years since they have only introduced the OS for M1 chips recently and on a few of their models.

bellarchitect

Post by bellarchitect » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:29 pm

The M1 move reminds me when Apple switched from the Motorola 68040 to Intel. They supported the older chips for awhile then eventually they became obsolete.