Using Global Origin in Drawing Setup

PowerCADD & WildTools
DavidScottOrkney

Post by DavidScottOrkney » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:40 pm

I work with mapping quite a bit and have been trying to work out how to import PowerCADD drawings into GIS software. Our Estates team uses QGIS. QGIS has a system for importing layers from a DWG file into layers within QGIS. I thought I might be able to achieve this by using Global Origin in the Drawing Setup to use common coordinates so that the map data merges. I have managed to use Global Origin to match the coordinates so the Edit Window gives the correct values but when I export as DWG and then import the drawing, the coordinates seems to revert to the local 0,0 in the drawing. If anyone else has had any experience with this and managed to solve the problem I'd be interested to hear.

Thanks

David

Alfred Scott

Post by Alfred Scott » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:38 pm

David,

I’ve always found the global origin to be extremely confusing and basically impossible to set as described. My brain just will not go there.

The method that is almost universally used is to select a location in the drawing and then specify the location of this point in the coordinate system that you want to use. This is the method that Paulo Rossi uses in his Topography Tools external for PowerCADD, and I have much the same thing in the Benchmark Point tool in TopoTools.

This works in coordination with Import Shapefiles, Import DXF and Import GPX and Google Placemarks all in TopoTools. My head hurts just thinking about this stuff.

You might get somewhere trying this approach. But that’s about all I know on the subject.

Alfred

DavidScottOrkney

Post by DavidScottOrkney » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:44 am

Getting your head round Global origin is like doing a measured survey with three and a half inches cut off the start of the tape and reading it upside down with a mirror!

I think I might have cracked it though. Maybe.

I think the reason it's so confusing is that a PowerCADD drawing normally has the y-axis with positive values running downwards, the x-axis with positive values running to the right, and the origin in the top left corner. Global coordinates uses the x-axis in the same way but the y-axis is opposite (down is negative), however you can't just flip the y-axis because Global origin is set off using the drawing system. Confused? Me too!

I've made up a drawing to try to explain to my staff how to apply a GPS survey to PowerCADD maintaining the global origin coordinates. We're finding contractors are asking for GPS setting-out coordinates these days rather than the old-fashioned tapes, theodolites methods, etc. especially with large irregular site works.

Alfred's work on Topo tools import is fantastic- being able to import the GPS survey files giving you instant plans with contours. I look forward to new PowerCADD updates that will bring this back in. I don't know if the Global origin setup can be improved but I think a Global coordinates tool rather than a dialog would work better. I would envisage a tool where you would hit a point and then input its global coordinates and show the direction of north. I'm assuming North could only be set at 90 degree angles otherwise things would get completely out of hand!

David
Global origin.zip
(418.03 KiB) Downloaded 873 times

Alfred Scott

Post by Alfred Scott » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:30 pm

David,

You are getting close, but you left out the part of the bubble turned inside out!

Alfred

rjpotter

Post by rjpotter » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:00 am

David -

That is brilliant, thanks, and works well once set up on the drawing.

I have two questions:

1. Todd - Can the Local Origin be locked once it has been set? Otherwise anyone dragging the top corner by accident knocks it all out.

2. Alfred - Can the WildTools Dimension Point tool have the leader line length adjusted so the text is placed closer to the relevant points?

Jonathan

Alfred Scott

Post by Alfred Scott » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:34 pm

Jonathan,

There is a Rx cursor that can be used with the same command keys as the YinYang cursor to shift the text location closer to the leader.

I can’t remember the tool, but I’m sure it’s in the Dimensioning tools palette. I just have to look things up in the documentation same as you, my memory being what it is and with the size of WildTools.

Alfred

rjpotter

Post by rjpotter » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:58 am

To prevent the origin being accidentally changed once it has been set, switch off Show Rulers:

Layout > Drawing Setup > Show > untick Rulers

Jonathan

rjpotter

Post by rjpotter » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:43 am

Alfred,

Once we have added coordinates to a drawing using the Dimension Point Tool is there a way to list these in a table?

If not, can that be added?

Jonathan

Alfred Scott

Post by Alfred Scott » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:59 pm

Jonathan,

Right now I’m working on a new tool palette design with variable sizes. It’s a very complex thing, but I’m making good progress. I’m maybe a month or two from having it operational.

When I get it done, I’ll be able to focus on this. Right now I don’t even remember what is involved with this except that it’s a very difficult thing to get my head around.

But putting these in a table makes sense.

Alfred

Alfred Scott

Post by Alfred Scott » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:21 pm

Jonathan,

Somewhere we have a dump truck cursor in a tool that’s used to put a text report object in the drawing.

That would be a good way to handle this, if it’s not already used for that.

Alfred