Losing shortcuts when program crashes

PowerCADD & WildTools
jfindlay

Post by jfindlay » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:49 pm

Hi,

We have a problem with losing all of the key command shortcuts when our computers crash or lose power. Is there a way to save the key commands that can be re-loaded when recovering from this? Using PowerCADD 9.1.10

Thank you,

Jamie Findlay

Matt_A

Post by Matt_A » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:49 pm

Try this:

Create the key commands. Save the document. Quit PowerCADD.

Open PowerCADD.

Are they there?

jfindlay

Post by jfindlay » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:34 pm

They are still there. It seems to happen when the software crashes (usually when trying to translate a DXF or DWG file), or if the power is turned off.

Matt_A

Post by Matt_A » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:16 pm

jfindlay wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:34 pm
They are still there. It seems to happen when the software crashes (usually when trying to translate a DXF or DWG file), or if the power is turned off.
Ya. I think PowerCADD only saves them when the program quits, so if you run it and set them and don't close the program they will never get saved, leading to the behavior you have observed.

patrickm

Post by patrickm » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:52 pm

Good reminder to back up your PC Preference files:
  • Get PowerCADD running the way you want, then quit.
  • Click in the Finder, hold down the Option key, then select Go>Library. In the window that opens, open the Preference window.
  • From within the Preference window, select everything with a name including "com.engsw", then Option-Drag it to your desktop (or someplace else), to make copies of these items.
  • Also in the Preference window, Option-Drag the "PowerCADD" folder to the same location.
  • Then, store these files someplace convenient.
I use these backup copies of the PowerCADD p[/list]reference settings to restore the items in my Library>Preferences folder occasionally, to eliminate preferences that I've accidentally tweaked.

If you only want to back up the Key Commands, then just make a copy of the file "PowerCADD 9 Key Commands" that lies within that PowerCADD folder within the Preferences folder.

kentkirk

Post by kentkirk » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:29 pm

Patrick,

Does the access to the PowerCADD Preferences still work the same way under Mojave. I could not get it come up. I have not had to replace my preferences in years.

A co-worker has a problem that is similar. But ALL key commands are not working even the cmd-C (copy) and cmd-V (paste) while using PowerCADD.

Does anyone have any thoughts on that problem?

huc

Post by huc » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:30 am

KentKirk said
A co-worker has a problem that is similar. But ALL key commands are not working even the cmd-C (copy) and cmd-V (paste) while using PowerCADD.

Does anyone have any thoughts on that problem?
Make sure they're running the latest version of PowerCADD 9.1.10, Build SG10 (EngSW Link: http://www.engsw.com/products/powercadd ... -5-update/)

I have a client who had that exact problem and they were running an outdated version - the free update fixed the problem

I hope that helps
Huc

patrickm

Post by patrickm » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:04 pm

kentkirk wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:29 pm
Patrick,

Does the access to the PowerCADD Preferences still work the same way under Mojave. I could not get it come up. I have not had to replace my preferences in years.
I honestly don’t know — I am still on Sierra, being a reluctant upgrader due to some old fonts that I use.

huc

Post by huc » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:13 pm

kentkirk wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:29 pm
Apple changed access to the LIBRARY folder which contains the various user related preferences including the PowerCADD preference folder/files In Mojave OSX 10.14.x, High Sierra 10.13.x, and I believe Sierra as well but my brain is foggy that far back.

From the Finder press OPTION then choose Go menu > and choose LIBRARY from the list. If the OPTION key is NOT pressed prior to accessing that menu then the LIBRARY folder is HIDDEN in that list.

Once the Library folder is open, navigate to Library > Preferences folder > PowerCADD folder and the relevant preference files are located there (key commands, defaults, gradient templates, registration etc.)

I hope that helps
Huc