Cutting Bitmaps/Pdfs

PowerCADD & WildTools
David Jones

Cutting Bitmaps/Pdfs

Post by David Jones » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:04 am

Hi Alfred,

I need to remove sections of a pdf which I have imported in PowerCADD. I did this earlier with your assistance for maps. Can this be done in the recent PowerCADD 9.1.8 (Build RB15) and WildTools (9.1.3 v5) versions?

David Jones

Alfred Scott

Cutting Bitmaps/Pdfs

Post by Alfred Scott » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:55 pm

David,

You can use the Crop tool in PixelTools for that. Also maybe Knife tool in WildTools.

I believe there’s a similar way to do that with PowerCADD, but I found it too confusing for my simple mind so I included all this in PixelTools.

I have trouble keeping versions straight, so if you can’t find it, maybe you can send me the PDF with a description of what you want.

You can also check the new PC documentation which I’ve updated. From the Help menu, go to the WildTools website, then down to the bottom of the page to Documentation. You’ll find the new stuff at the top of the Documentation page.

You can search the new documentation in the table of contents or index for this stuff.

PDFs are not actually cropped. The content is not changed, but rather you are changing the visible rectangle, or something similarly named.

Alfred

patrickm

Cutting Bitmaps/Pdfs

Post by patrickm » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:30 pm

Alfred Scott wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:55 pm
(snip...)

PDFs are not actually cropped. The content is not changed, but rather you are changing the visible rectangle, or something similarly named.

(...snip)
If that's the case, once you've "placed" the PDF into your PC drawing, hold down the command key, mouse over one of the PDF's selection handles and the cursor will change to a "crop" symbol, press down the mouse key & shift keys, then drag that selection handle to the desired location. Once PDF's are (pseudo) cropped, you can undo the cropping by reversing these steps.

David Jones

Cutting Bitmaps/Pdfs

Post by David Jones » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:29 pm

Thank you Alfred and Patrick!

David

huc

Cutting Bitmaps/Pdfs

Post by huc » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:00 am

David Jones wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:04 am
...in the recent PowerCADD 9.1.8 (Build RB15) and WildTools (9.1.3 v5) versions?
David - as an aside - you may want to take advantage of the free update on EngSW's website to PowerCADD 9.1.10 (with the corresponding WT update). That will keep you current.

Link to update: http://www.engsw.com/products/powercadd ... -5-update/

Huc

DavidScottOrkney

Cutting Bitmaps/Pdfs

Post by DavidScottOrkney » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:31 am

Alfred Scott wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:55 pm
David,
You can use the Crop tool in PixelTools for that. Also maybe Knife tool in WildTools.
PixelTools no longer works for me using WildTools 10.1.3 v5 with PowerCADD 9.1.10 (Build SG10). This is the latest download of PowerCADD Expert from the ESW website. I just get a blank single tool when I open the PixelTools floating tool palette. Anyone else having this problem?

The Command-crop is OK but you can only crop proportionally.

David

DavidScottOrkney

Cutting Bitmaps/Pdfs

Post by DavidScottOrkney » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:28 am

DavidScottOrkney wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:31 am
The Command-crop is OK but you can only crop proportionally.
Just discovered that if you hold down the Shift key with the Command key, you can do non-proportional cropping. You can also crop from edges by dragging the mid-point selection handle this way. (I think this should really be the default method with Shift-Command as the proportional option.)

David

nametabb

Cutting Bitmaps/Pdfs

Post by nametabb » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:58 pm

Wanted to test PixelTools as describe above but was greeted with an empty pallet. Realized I was using a prior version of PC & WT so updated using the link. Thank for the link btw. Still no luck. Anyone else? Running Mojave here.

huc

Cutting Bitmaps/Pdfs

Post by huc » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:32 am

nametabb wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:58 pm
...PixelTools...greeted with an empty pallet....Anyone else? Running Mojave here.
I see the same empty palette here in Mojave 10.14.6 - WTools 10.1.3 v5 running inside of PCadd 9.1.10 (build SG10)

Fortunately, cropping placed objects is already a part of PowerCADD and WT PixelTools isn't required. Technique as described above by others. Basically non-destructive cropping simply by selecting a placed image/pdf, press CMD key+mouse over a corner handlebar, drag crop cursor to crop/uncrop. Shift to unconstrain the aspect ratio or to crop if mousing over a midpoint selection handle bar (not from a corner). Cropping of placed images has worked by default in PowerCADD for many versions - albeit the need to press SHIFT to unconstrain when cropping from a corner selection handle bar did change from it's original model.

I can't recall all the other options available in the WT PixelTools palette but the core of what I generally do with placed objects in PCD include: Crop, Uncrop, cutting, rotate, and scaling (and perhaps knocking a hole or two in a bitmap). Those can all be done in the core PCadd application. While PCadd (and by extension WT PixelTools) also include some alpha and other core image effects, I find any serious pixel editing is better done in a dedicated app and I then place the item again. To speed up the edit/update process, particularly for raster images, I'll actually Place the image as a REFERENCE (References menu > Place Reference...) in PCadd rather then use File menu >Place... That way I can do any editing in Photoshop and just have PCadd update the referenced PSD/TIF/JPG file. Works well for things like image boards or promo material.

So - I see what you see with respect to an empty WT PixelTools palette. However, the core elements - for MY workflow (your mileage will vary) - are still doable within PCadd.

Hope that helps
Huc

[EDIT: Changed OPTION key to CMD key in description. Brain fart when typing original reply)

Alfred Scott

Cutting Bitmaps/Pdfs

Post by Alfred Scott » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:15 pm

The empty tool palette icon is a screwup on my part. PixelTools at that point was prerelease software that was supposed to disappear without a trace when the trial period was up. Oops.

There are always lots of ways to do things, but the thing I most value about PixelTools is the ability to erase and crop scanned images in the drawing. I know it sounds crazy, but I had hundreds of Falco drawings that I had done years ago with ink on mylar and then scanned them. I wanted to be able to clean them up without redrawing every one. Find the drawing set at www.seqair.com Falco Plans & Construction Manual on the top right of the page.

It only made sense to include the core image filters to operate on images in the drawing but this is no replacement for Photoshop.

Alfred