Lose Key Commands after Quitting

PowerCADD & WildTools
snydmax

Post by snydmax » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:26 am

So, I’m sure I don't have to elaborate on how annoying this is... I just made the jump from PowerCADD 6 on an older machine to PowerCADD 9 on a brand spankin new 27in iMac. I'm running os 10.14.6 Mojave after hearing so much about the woes others are having with Catalina.

2 big issues: Resolution within PowerCADD sucks! Everything is blurry, PC tech support says this is an incompatibility with the retina's full resolution... will be resolved in PC10 next year. So, I guess I will have to live with that for now

Other major problem... I didn't bother trying to migrate any settings from my old machine and went straight into preferences to set up my command key shortcuts. Everything going good, finally getting closer to reaching billable time! quit for the day, close PowerCADD... next day, all back to default. So I go about resetting everything... well, it seems that every time I quit PC, I lose my custom command key settings.

Any advice?

sgladfelter

Post by sgladfelter » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:31 pm

Custom key commands is a permissions issue. The key commands are saved when PC quits, but it doesn't have permission to edit the file located in ~/Library/Preferences/PowerCADD. Library is a hidden folder now so you'll need to use the 'go' command under the finder pull down.

On a side note, I loved PC6. I'd hate to go back to it, but it was probably the most stable build prior to PC9.

snydmax

Post by snydmax » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:25 pm

I do not have a PowerCADD folder in ~library/preferences. I suspect this may be the root of the problem... how would I go about "repairing" the permissions issue?

Have a screen shot but a noob here so don't know how to upload a photo!

And yes, PC6 was great, I did miss being able to right click "move to layer" and also PC6 did not allow for transparency of objects and layers

RTCool

Post by RTCool » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:49 pm

sgladfelter wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:31 pm
... Library is a hidden folder now so you'll need to use the 'go' command under the finder pull down...
BTW, I just learned a Finder shortcut I didn't know: Command-Shift-. (period) toggles visibility of hidden files and folders. Just another trick for dealing with them.

colinmcc

Post by colinmcc » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:57 pm

"Custom key commands is a permissions issue. The key commands are saved when PC quits, but it doesn't have permission to edit the file located in ~/Library/Preferences/PowerCADD. Library is a hidden folder now so you'll need to use the 'go' command under the finder pull down."

when you say it is a permissions issue, what have you done to resolve it. I looked at the permissions of the key command files in the "get info" box and while the user did have read/write permissions, the other two ( think it was staff and everyone ) only had read only. Do all user names have to be read/write? or the whole /Library/Preferences/PowerCADD folder be read/write

snydmax

Post by snydmax » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:22 pm

Alright, this problem appears to be solved! thanks to great help from PowerCADD's tech support team. Here is what we did.

First, in order to see the correct library/preferences folder, you must use finders "Go" tab and click "go to folder..." from the pull down menu.
- then paste in "~/Library/Preferences/"... @rtcool and @sgladfelter, I think that is what you were trying to say.

This will open a finder window for preferences which contains the "PowerCADD" folder. In it are your stored key commands, etc.

They had me Quit PowerCADD, delete the PowerCADD folder from preferences and then reopen PowerCADD. Once I went through those steps, the issue seems to be resolved and my custom key commands are now saving properly.

EDIT: this also seems to have restored all of the default key commands that I was missing such as space-to-pan, command+e-to-edit, etc! I can now stop cussing PC9!!!

patrickm

Post by patrickm » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:25 pm

Along the lines of this, I'd be curious which old PowerCADD preference .plist items are no longer needed and can be deleted. When I've upgraded PC and MacOS in the past, old preference items have been dragged along with the upgrades. I see some of my PowerCADD preferences files are have "creation" dates from 2012 and were "last modified" around the same time. I assume at least some of those are legacy items that can (and possibly should) be deleted.

colinmcc

Post by colinmcc » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:56 pm

Many thanks snydmax, that worked perfectly