PC won't launch

PowerCADD & WildTools
patrickm

PC won't launch

Post by patrickm » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:12 pm

I have a random situation, where, when starting up PC, it will crash upon launching. The only way I can seem to solve this situation is to either:
1. replace my preferences (with a back up copy)
2. reinstall PC, launch PC to see if it works, quit, then replace my preferences (with that back up copy).

I also usually restart my computer, which doesn't seem to really have any effect on the success of PC launching.

I can't find a common pattern for this PC crash upon launch situation, and each options 1 & 2 seem to solve the problem about 50% of the time. Fortunately, one of them does solve the problem and I can get back to work.

I'm on a late 2015 iMac, Mac OS Sierra, PC 9.1.10 (Build SG10), 32 GB RAM.

If anyone has some suggestions (or can make sense of crash logs), please let me know.

cheers,
patrick

Accuplan

Re: PC won't launch

Post by Accuplan » Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:16 am

My Powercadd 9.1.11 is not launching. I am on a 2017 macbook pro with os Sierra version 10.12.6. Please help, I am trying to meet deadlines. I have had trouble for the last couple of weeks, but could at least get in after a couple of tries. Any ideas?

todd@engsw.com
Site Admin

Post by todd@engsw.com » Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:54 am

Can you be more specific about what "won't launch" means? Does PowerCADD hang. Does PowerCADD crash?

PowerCADD does a version check when it starts, and sometime a firewall will block this request causing PowerCADD to wait for a timeout. If you wait 2 minutes, does PowerCADD continue?

Accuplan

Post by Accuplan » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:55 am

Sorry for the delayed response.
So, when I click to open a powercadd 9 project/drawing I see the "POWERCADD 9" logo box, then a prompt box pops up that says "loading Powercadd 9 file (and the name of the project/file) please wait"... and the color wheel turning. I have to force quit (says Powercadd is not responding). I have tried to open the drawing by clicking on it then going to "FILE, OPEN WITH... and selecting Powercadd. I get the wheel again. Ive gone to the applications and tried to open Powercadd from there to open a file and it still will not launch, I get a wheel. The only thing out of the ordinary that I have done is a week ago I tried to migrate/copy all my files to another MacBook Pro but it had the Big Surr so I had to have a tech wipe it clean and install Mojave and send it back to me. It is ready for me to install Powercadd but waiting to have a little break in my schedule before getting into something that stalls production. Maybe I need to be moving things over sooner than later... Anyway, any help is sincerely appreciated.

todd@engsw.com
Site Admin

Post by todd@engsw.com » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:17 pm

Accuplan wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:55 am
Sorry for the delayed response.
So, when I click to open a powercadd 9 project/drawing I see the "POWERCADD 9" logo box, then a prompt box pops up that says "loading Powercadd 9 file (and the name of the project/file) please wait"... and the color wheel turning. I have to force quit (says Powercadd is not responding). I have tried to open the drawing by clicking on it then going to "FILE, OPEN WITH... and selecting Powercadd. I get the wheel again. Ive gone to the applications and tried to open Powercadd from there to open a file and it still will not launch, I get a wheel. The only thing out of the ordinary that I have done is a week ago I tried to migrate/copy all my files to another MacBook Pro but it had the Big Surr so I had to have a tech wipe it clean and install Mojave and send it back to me. It is ready for me to install Powercadd but waiting to have a little break in my schedule before getting into something that stalls production. Maybe I need to be moving things over sooner than later... Anyway, any help is sincerely appreciated.
Have you tried waiting through the timeout period of 2 minutes?

patrickm

Post by patrickm » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:05 pm

patrickm wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:12 pm
I have a random situation, where, when starting up PC, it will crash upon launching. The only way I can seem to solve this situation is to either:
1. replace my preferences (with a back up copy)
2. reinstall PC, launch PC to see if it works, quit, then replace my preferences (with that back up copy).

I also usually restart my computer, which doesn't seem to really have any effect on the success of PC launching.

I can't find a common pattern for this PC crash upon launch situation, and each options 1 & 2 seem to solve the problem about 50% of the time. Fortunately, one of them does solve the problem and I can get back to work.

I'm on a late 2015 iMac, Mac OS Sierra, PC 9.1.10 (Build SG10), 32 GB RAM.

If anyone has some suggestions (or can make sense of crash logs), please let me know.

cheers,
patrick
Funny that this thread was resurrected this week: I hadn't had the "PC won't launch" issue in over a year, but it has popped up again this week. Fortunately, when PC was running properly and had a fresh set of my backed up preferences, I had zipped it's application folder. Now, when the problem arises, I trash the problematic PC applications folder, unzip a copy of the functional version, and am off and running again.

EONorton

Post by EONorton » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:45 am

Help!

Now I'm having this problem, its totally new for me. I'm running the latest Power Cadd on a Mac Book Pro with Mojave. Its been running fine for a while, now when I open PC it quits immediately. Yesterday if I reopened 3-4 times in quick succession it would stay open and I could get some work done before it crashed. This morning I would have to reopen it maybe 10 times for it to stay open, now it will not stay open at all. I tried Onyx, no luck. I deleted the preferences file, no luck, I just deleted and reinstalled PC, no luck.

Any help so I can limp along until PC10 comes out would be very much appreciated.

Escott

patrickm

Post by patrickm » Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:12 am

Hopefully you have a backup of your preference files. If so, try replacing all of them.
Last edited by patrickm on Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek » Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:12 am

Escott,

Try starting PowerCADD in safe mode by holding down the Shift key when launching. That might give us some more clues.

Derek

EONorton

Post by EONorton » Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:23 pm

Hi Derek,
I restarted in Safe Mode and PC opened up immediately and didn't crash! Sorry to be ignorant, but what should my next steps be?

Thanks,
Escott

P.S.Patrickm, I did not back up my preferences before deleting them, however, I've since done a fresh instal of PC, so that would create a new preferences file, right?