Magnetic Windows

PowerCADD & WildTools
JeffSnyder

Magnetic Windows

Post by JeffSnyder » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:23 pm

Hello everyone.

I can't figure out how to use magnetic windows. I'd like to have my tool palettes stick together but when I check the box in Preferences/General/Magnetic Windows, nothing sticks. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Jeff Snyder

huc

Re: Magnetic Windows

Post by huc » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:51 am

I'm running PCadd 9.1.11 and Mac OS X Mojave 10.14.6 and it works as described in the Manual on pages 186 and 378.

It's worth noting that even with the general application preference for magnetic windows ON, each window has its own specific/unique preference as noted on page 378. It's worth checking those window specific settings to make sure they're all ON as well.

If the preference is ON and all window specific settings are ON then I also find sometimes I have to drag a window away/off then back on to get them to stick.

I hope that helps

Cheers
Huc

DavidScottOrkney

Re: Magnetic Windows

Post by DavidScottOrkney » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:51 pm

I think it would be much better if PowerCADD used window snapping rather than magnetic widows.
Does anyone actually want all their floating windows to move together? I just use Magnetic Windows to neatly line them all up. Also, any floating window that is resizable (like the Edit or Layers widow) does funny things when a 'magnetised' window is resized. Also, if you close one floating window in the middle of a magnetic group the remaining windows still move together with the big gap!

Window snapping is actually built into the Mac operating system (since Sierra) and it's so well done you hardly notice it. Try moving a Finder window close to another one and it snaps right beside it except for a hairline gap. (You can override this effect by holding down the option key.) It's also been implemented in all of Apple's apps, like Pages, and also Microsoft apps, so I would have thought it should be fairly easy to implement in PowerCADD. It would also allow PowerCADD document windows to snap, which don't at present.

David