You can run Powercadd under Catalina

PowerCADD & WildTools
malcineurope

You can run Powercadd under Catalina

Post by malcineurope » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:55 pm

Sorry for the dual post but I did not want this to be lost at the end of a long discussion. You can run Powercadd within Catalina! You need Parallels or VM Fusion. I have Parallels as I need to run some Windows only programs. I followed the instructions at https://uk.pcmag.com/news-analysis/1230 ... s-catalina to install Mojave before Installing Catalina. I can now run Powercadd within the Parallels virtual machine. Indeed this afternoon I have had Mojave, Windows and Catalina all running on the same machine at the same time.
It is best to install Mojave before upgrading to Catalina but there are instructions on what to do if you have already upgraded.

EduardoJB

Re: You can run Powercadd under Catalina

Post by EduardoJB » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:08 am

Thanks, really appreciate it. I did it. However, for some reason, I don't get the same resolution on the Paralleles window that I get on the MacBook screen. I tried to change it from the Paralleles window under System Preferences, but even though there's only one choice, it doesn't look too good. If I can't fix this, I think I'll wait for the PowerCADD update.

malcineurope

Post by malcineurope » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:51 am

You can change the screen resolution under Parallels by going to the view Menu - Retina Resolution and choosing between "More Space", "Best for Retina", "Scaled". I find "scaled" or Best for Retina both work well on my iMac

johncruet48

Post by johncruet48 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:42 pm

"You can run Powercadd under Catalina"

Not really!

I refuse to run Parallels or VM Fusion on my Mac. These are inferior solutions, in my experience, to running, for example, Windows on my Macs. I tried to run Parallels on my iMac mid-2011and I noticed virtually every function ran like a crawl, including ILevel Forte™ (before it became Web-based). This as opposed to Windows running under BootCamp, which ran programs as though they were running on a PC.

I will await the 64-bit version of PowerCADD prior to upgrading my MacBook Pro 2019 to Catalina.

In my opinion, Parallels is garbage and I do not recommend it for anything.

patrickm

Post by patrickm » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:37 pm

I had the same experience as John, with Parallels and Windows, so I'd be hesitant to run Mac OS in Parallels, too.

wash your hands,
patrick

johncruet48

Post by johncruet48 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:47 pm

patrickm wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:37 pm
wash your hands,
patrick
And yes, I'm wearing my face mask ;)

MCharek

Post by MCharek » Mon May 04, 2020 9:07 pm

What about running PowerCadd in a Mojave partition on a machine set up for Catalina?

Matt_A

Post by Matt_A » Tue May 05, 2020 4:50 pm

This reminds me of the cowboy joke where the cowboy meets his first lesbian. He tells his friend later, "gol-dang you know what? It turns out I've been a lesbian my whole life."

MCharek

Post by MCharek » Thu May 07, 2020 11:49 pm

Well, "that’s two different buckets of possums."

RTCool

Post by RTCool » Sun May 10, 2020 5:54 pm

I don't know how you got Mojave to install at this point. I want to upgrade a machine I have with High Sierra on it to Mojave, not Catalina, but it seems that since last October or something, the certificate for the Mojave installer expired or something, and it refuses to work. I've read some hacks which I haven't tried yet, but I'm not too psyched about one which is to download a patched version from some website other than Apple. With the lockdown now, I can't go to the Apple Store genius bar either to get it done.