You can run Powercadd under Catalina

PowerCADD & WildTools
patrickm

Re: You can run Powercadd under Catalina

Post by patrickm » Mon May 11, 2020 3:54 pm

I'm not sure how this might work in the current pandemic paradigm, but I once had the Apple Store revert my iMac to Sierra, at a time when Mojave was the current OS. They were accommodating when I explained the problems I was having with Mojave, mainly related to broken fonts.

johncruet48

Post by johncruet48 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:52 pm

RTCool wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 5:54 pm
I don't know how you got Mojave to install at this point. I want to upgrade a machine I have with High Sierra on it to Mojave, not Catalina, but it seems that since last October or something, the certificate for the Mojave installer expired or something, and it refuses to work. I've read some hacks which I haven't tried yet, but I'm not too psyched about one which is to download a patched version from some website other than Apple. With the lockdown now, I can't go to the Apple Store genius bar either to get it done.
Mojave came with my 2019 MacBook Pro. I was actually able to install High Sierra on my mid-2011 iMac. I cannot install Mojave or later on this machine. I went to Apple's website to verify that.

Is it possible to just download and install Mojave from the Apple website?

Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:57 pm

John,

The Mojave installer you get from Apple will not install on Macs that did not ship with Mojave but there is a solution. There is a tool available that will patch the Mojave Installer so that it works. It's called macOS Mojave Patcher and you can get it here: http://dosdude1.com/mojave/

I have used this successfully on my old Mac Pro that was running High Sierra. You need a 16GB USB drive (or bigger) as the tool makes a bootable install drive with the patch.

Derek

JaiCheswick

Post by JaiCheswick » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:41 pm

Derek,
Mate do you know how to install PowerCadd on Parallels. Im really wanting to upgrade to Big Sur for a number of other apps.
Hope this 5 day lockdown goes ok for you. I'm in the inner west and looking forward to 5 days with the kids at home (Not).

If you do know perhaps you could post /

Thanks Jai

Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:42 am

Hi Jai,

First you need to create a virtual machine in Parallels Desktop with Mojave or an earlier version of macOS. The process to do this is described in this Parallels knowledge base article:
https://kb.parallels.com/124786

If you have already installed Catalina or Big Sur you will need a copy of the macOS installer. These are no longer available in the Apple Store but you can get macOS installers directly from Apple downloads (get the latest Combo Update for whichever macOS you want but I've made this link go straight to Mojave):
https://support.apple.com/downloads/Mojave

As previously discussed, the macOS installers are now locked by Apple for Macs they were not originally shipped with. The Parallels article above gives you a command to use in the Terminal to circumvent this.

Once you finally have your VM installed and running in Parallels you install PowerCADD as you normally would. You'll need the PowerCADD installer for this and your install codes. So from within the VM download the installer:
http://www.engsw.com/products/powercadd ... -5-update/

And if you want Alfred's latest update of WildTools, it's here:
http://www.seqair.com/WildTools/Downloads2/index.html

That should use up a few hours of this lockdown. I reckon by the time you're done you'll actually be looking forward to the next few days at home with the kids! :)

Derek

JaiCheswick

Post by JaiCheswick » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:10 am

Derek Thanks !
Looks a lot more complicated than I imagined.....I'll give it shot though.
LOL ....I've just spent the lat few hours invoicing and researching for other projects.

Cheers Jai

JaiCheswick

Post by JaiCheswick » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:48 am

HI. I installed Parallels on my mac Mini. Parallels is very slow to load. However PowerCadd works with only the smallest lag and reduced screen size within Parallels.
So it is possible.

Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:05 am

Jai,

I've found tweaking the Configuration options for the VM can improve performance. Here are some things to consider (note you have to shut down the VM to make these changes, it can't just be suspended):

1. Options panel: Optimization - set it to No limit
2. Hardware panel: CPU & Memory - increase the Memory to near the top of the green band
3. Hardware panel: Mouse & Keyboard - Mouse: Auto-detect for games seems to be ok but you might find an improvement if set to Optimize for games.
4. Hardware panel: Mouse & Keyboard - Keyboard: set to Optimize for games (very important for WildTools)

Derek

John Bushey

Post by John Bushey » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:36 pm

Can someone chime in on how the workflow is with PowerCADD on a Mohave partition and all other apps on Catalina or Big Sur? It's been years (decades???) since I have used a partitioned machine.

I have been patient waiting for an update to PowerCADD, but my 2017 PowerBook is showing signs of a battery swelling problem and the estimated turnaround for repair is 5 days minimum. Since I am in the middle of a big development I can't be without it for that long and may just update. There is always someone in my family that will appreciate the old laptop when it comes back!

So, a Big Sur/Mohave combination may be in my future, if it is easy or at least tolerable to work that way. Speed is one thing, but interactivity with apps on the other partition, Mail, browsers, spreadsheets....Cut/paste, file access between partitions, printer access.... Those kind of things.

I sure would appreciate any input from you all.

Thanks,

John Bushey
Swell Manufacturing, LLC

poolvibe

Post by poolvibe » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:01 pm

I would just pickup whatever is handy and slap Mojave on it. Booting back and forth is not worth the time and Mojave works fine