Reference file issue when working from home

PowerCADD & WildTools
DavidScottOrkney

Reference file issue when working from home

Post by DavidScottOrkney » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:56 am

I've been working from home for a week now and have encountered a problem with reference files. At work we store files on an SMB server volume and reference files work well. However I don't have server access at home and when I open PowerCADD files that contain references I just get a 'can't find server' error. When I OK the error it persists and I end up having to force quit PowerCADD. There's no way to open the file. It would be good if I could reassign the location of the referenced file- just show PowerCADD where the file is now located.

Thanks

David

Keith Renton

Re: Reference file issue when working from home

Post by Keith Renton » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:28 am

Hi David,

Are you able to do a "save as" and create a new drawing without the reference?

Regards from the far south of Scotland!

Keith

DavidScottOrkney

Re: Reference file issue when working from home

Post by DavidScottOrkney » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:11 am

Hi Keith,

Greetings from the far north!
As an update to this, I've discovered that if I keep the file hierarchical structure the same, with the same folder names as is on the server, PowerCADD will find the reference file after 1 error message to say it can't find the server.
So PowerCADD seems to be able to find the file as long as the folder names are consistent between the working file and the reference file (despite being on a different drive Volume). This discovery has saved a lot of angst working from home.
I'd still like to be able to manually point to the reference file though, as at the moment there's no way to move the reference file to another folder and re-link.

David