COVID Vaccine Trial

PowerCADD & WildTools
Alfred Scott

COVID Vaccine Trial

Post by Alfred Scott » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:28 pm

Sure cure for boredom!

Yesterday I got my first shot in the AstraZeneca vaccine trial. Odds are 2/3 that it’s the vaccine and 1/3 that it’s the placebo.

The paperwork and bureaucracy is unbelievable. My last two doctors retired because of it.

The actual shot was a nonevent. Worst part was when they shoved the swabs up both sides of my nose all the way into the sinuses.

Alfred

Howard in Durham

Re: COVID Vaccine Trial

Post by Howard in Durham » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:22 pm

Do they eventually reveal to you just what they injected into your arm?

Alfred Scott

Post by Alfred Scott » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:01 pm

Eventually they do, and also there is something sensible about if one of the other vaccines are available and I had the placebo, they contact me then to offer the other vaccine.

Alfred

John Bushey

Post by John Bushey » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:29 pm

Good for you Alfred. Thank you for taking part.

Though I have a hard time thinking of you as ever being bored!

nametabb

Post by nametabb » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:10 pm

That's great Alfred. Sounds like you win either way! How long before the second shot & were there any side effects?

Alfred Scott

Post by Alfred Scott » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:26 pm

Next shot is January 10.

Side effects: Just the usual very slight soreness in your arm from the shot. So slight it’s hardly worth mentioning.

Alfred

DavidScottOrkney

Post by DavidScottOrkney » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:30 pm

I've had a couple of PCR tests recently, having had hospital procedures done- nothing serious; just a minor repair job. The odd thing is, when I got the first one it felt like I was getting a lobotomy and the second one was barely a tickle (different nurses!).

David

patrickm

Post by patrickm » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:15 pm

Keep us posted on that second shot, Alfred. My first Shingrex shot was no big deal, but the second one knocked me for a loop and put me out of commission for a couple of days. I've heard the Pfizer Covid vaccine might be similar. I'll get it either way (when I can, probably late spring or summer for our part of the country/demographic), but I'll be curious to hear how it goes for you.

Alfred Scott

Post by Alfred Scott » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:53 pm

We had a rapid antibodies test going at a grocery store chain. My brother and I both took it. He has antibodies and I don’t. Then the supervising doctor of the vaccine trial called, and he confirmed I got the placebo. They will contact me when the AstraZeneca vaccine is available.

Meanwhile there are a lot of shots being given, all run by the Virginia state department of health. Meredith got a shot yesterday (Pfizer) at a big convention center here. It was very well organized and run.

And I’m making great progress with new things in WildTools and I’ve got a number of things on my to-do list, which grows as things get done.

Alfred

Alfred Scott

Post by Alfred Scott » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:13 pm

I just got my first shot of the Pfizer vaccine. Next shot in a month.

Alfred