Font Replacement

PowerCADD & WildTools
RTCool

Font Replacement

Post by RTCool » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:40 am

I'm moving to a "new" machine. High Sierra didn't like a couple of my font families, but I figured out how to fix them, install them, and good to go again. When I open an existing drawing, I get a dialog that certain fonts aren't on my system and do I want to substitute something else. That would be fine if it worked but it doesn't. I can pop up the font list, find the one to replace it with and select it, and it doesn't take. Nothing...It won't do it. There are a few fonts that can be chosen, but not the ones I need. If the font is in the system, appears on the popup menu, why won't it take it. This is potentially going to turn into a whole lot of work fixing every drawing going forward.

RTCool

Re: Font Replacement

Post by RTCool » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:12 am

I've discovered that the font replacement does actually work, it's just that for a lot of fonts, when you select them from pop up list, the result just shows as blank. Still, it's getting old to run through the same operation with every old drawing I open. I wish I could save a setup and just apply it with one click. It sure would save a lot of time and tedium.

patrickm

Post by patrickm » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:06 pm

I have a similar issue. I am running Sierra, since everything worked for me under that OS. Since I first started using PowerDraw, I used Avant Gard as my basic font. When upgraded to High Sierra, Avant Gard no longer worked. Luckily, I was able to downgrade to Sierra and resume normal life. I don’t have time to deal with font replacement/text wrapping issues on all my long-used standard details and notes.

RTCool

Post by RTCool » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:17 pm

patrickm wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:06 pm
...When upgraded to High Sierra, Avant Gard no longer worked. ...
Exactly. I was on one machine with Sierra, and when I moved to a newer one on High Sierra, my office standard fonts broke. I've used Adobe Stone Sans family since 1990. (It's no longer sold by Adobe, btw) Also, by basic copy of Tekton broke, though some other versions are fine. Eventually, I found TransType 4 was able to rescue and resave my fonts so they are usable in High Sierra, but they are different fonts as far as PowerCADD sees it. The font substitution routine is working (unintuitively with blank menu selections), but doing the same routine over and over gets old fast.

johncruet48

Post by johncruet48 » Fri May 28, 2021 7:43 pm

The font substitution is getting to be a drag. And I just switched most of my most recent drawings to use Helvetica font in the main body. But since advancing to Mojave and High Sierra, I open older documents and I get a dialog which mentions "please select a substitute for 'unknown.' Then I have to go back and reconstruct my Text Styles. Also, the new MacOS's from High Sierra on seem to have abandoned the Times font, which I used for my title blocks.