What do you need?

PowerCADD & WildTools

What do you need?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:34 pm

I need PowerCADD to run on a new/current Mac with Big Sur and beyond
49%
I also need WildTools to run with PowerCADD on Big Sur and beyond
47%
I can get by with the current PowerCADD running in an emulator like Parallels of VMware
2%
I also need WildTools running with PowerCADD in an emulator.
2%

Total votes: 49

Derek
Site Admin

What do you need?

Post by Derek » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:34 pm

Just for the hell of it, here's a poll. You can select more than one answer. I'll let it run for a month.

Matt_A

Re: What do you need?

Post by Matt_A » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:04 am

I would check the box that says:
I'm fine with current hardware and software and the only thing on my wishlist is that PowerCADD would autosave in the background, kinda like the way Word and Excel have done for the past mumbledymumble years.

RTCool

Post by RTCool » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:58 am

I'm scraping by with older hardware for the moment, but it's getting more and more difficult to hang on.

I also need better interactivity with SketchUp At least improvement in DWG import/export.

Alfred Scott

Post by Alfred Scott » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:47 pm

Rob,

In WildTools, we have import and export DXF. You can drag and drop a DXF into the window. I know it's not DWG, but I would assume this would be useful.

Also, I did sign up as a SketchUp developer. They have a software development kit and I messed with it a bit. But I still have plenty of things I'm working on in WildTools right now.

Alfred

jfindlay

Post by jfindlay » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:37 pm

Hi Alfred,

Is there an update on the next version of PowerCADD? We're starring to run into issues with our older Macs (not being updated to ensure PowerCADD operation) that won't run other software that's been optimized for the new system (such as Harvest time tracking).

Any update information would be a great help.

Thank you,

johncruet48

Post by johncruet48 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:12 pm

Thank you for the poll!

I think the PowerCADD rank and file have spoken. Maybe a small sampling but nonetheless very telling.

It's time for the 64 bit PowerCADD.

johncruet48

Post by johncruet48 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:20 pm

RTCool wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:58 am
I'm scraping by with older hardware for the moment, but it's getting more and more difficult to hang on.

I also need better interactivity with SketchUp At least improvement in DWG import/export.
You may want to also check my post at the "Feature Requests" discussion.

It prompted a telephone call from Alfred Scott to my office. We had a very friendly conversation about the future of PowerCADD and future development, and the unfortunate circumstances that befell the main program writer. It left me saddened, to say the least.

Meanwhile, the program is running fine on my 2019 MacBook Pro. But since upgrading to High Sierra on my venerable mid-2011 iMac, there have been issues with printer addressing upon startup, among others. Restarting the iMac- a painfully slow and time consuming process- seems to correct the issue. PowerCADD otherwise runs OK on the iMac, but I'd like to eventually replace this machine.

Alfred Scott

Post by Alfred Scott » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:05 pm

I’m running on a mid-2011 iMac 27 and I have no problems at all with performance and startup because I’m running entirely on SSD.

The machine came with ThunderBolt 1 ports, which makes it tricky until you know how to deal with this.

OWC (Mac Sales) provided the solution. They sold me a 1TB “rugged” Thunderbolt (1) hard disk (with orange rubber cover) which has a spinning SATA hard disk and also a 1TB SSD. I opened up the case, removed the spinning SATA disk and replaced it with the SSD. It was about $150 for each.

I earlier had OWC install an internal 240 GB SSD, which works flawlessly but eventually I wanted more of my storage on SSD.

It will make you a little nervous opening up the case, but just keep yourself grounded so there is no static electricity. But once you put it all back together and see that it works just fine, you forget about the worries and let the SSD live quietly on the desk behind the iMac.

Alfred

Howard in Durham

Post by Howard in Durham » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:57 pm

Add me to PC and WT running 64 bit Big Sur and M-1 chip. Every year TurboTax only runs on an OS 2 years old or newer. I have been juggling operating systems for years now, and would like to stop the clown act.

RTCool

Post by RTCool » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:08 am

Howard in Durham wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:57 pm
Add me to PC and WT running 64 bit Big Sur and M-1 chip. Every year TurboTax only runs on an OS 2 years old or newer. I have been juggling operating systems for years now, and would like to stop the clown act.
Yeah, I could live with existing OS forever, but it's the other software packages that keep demanding OS upgrades. For me it's things like DaVinci Resolve, Twinmotion, etc.