Life after/beyond PowerCadd?

PowerCADD & WildTools
dFA

Re: Life after/beyond PowerCadd?

Post by dFA » Thu May 13, 2021 9:48 pm

Thanks for the tips, Peter

I have tried all of those placed image and reference methods. Would be great to sidestep LO altogether with a direct viewport to a SU model if Alfred can manage to work that out for us.

As for layers - what appeals to me most about organizing the ‘Layers by Sheet’ philosophy is the simplification of Layout’s approach of splitting out the Page & Layer setups.

I find that often dozens and dozens of layers in a drawing file are required in Powercadd when you have multiple sheet setups within one file.

For example, if you have a multi-level project you’ll likely have dedicated layers for dimensions on each level (‘Level 1 - Dimensions’, ‘Level 2 - Dimensions’, ‘Level 3 - Dimensions’ etc) Same story with Notes, Revisions, Lighting etc etc etc.

I find PCadd, most of my time in layer management is spent setting up and dealing with all the other layers that have nothing to do with the active page (or sheet) I am working on at the time - naming all those other unique layers, re-stacking them, turning them on/off etc. Adding or modifying new layers mid-stream often requires resetting previous sheet setups to hide new unwanted layers or re-adjusting the stacking orders for each sheet. I mean … it works but it may be a lot more complicated that it really needs to be.

The LO approach is to have (for example) a ‘Dimension’ layer for the page you are working on. The next page (or sheet) has the same ‘Dimension’ layer to add information unique to that next level. Only a handful of layers needed for the document (actually as many as you want but a lot fewer are required to achieve the same results as the PCadd method) Simple to administer - sort of like working with a filtered subset without any of that irrelevant layer distraction to deal with.

Both LO and PCadd can have shared layers in common across sheets (like gridlines or title blocks) Shared layers can be turned on/off per page just like the unique layers.

Embarrassed to admit I had not come across the ‘Print Sheets’ feature - it’s been ‘Command-P’ for me all these years ! Would be nice if there was an option to print to a PDF set (as well as individual sheets) in the upcoming release.

Thanks again ~ dF

fred johnson

Post by fred johnson » Fri May 14, 2021 3:37 pm

Generally, what it sounds like is that, for a future direction, most would like some sort of basic (not BIM) 3D modeling capabilities WITHIN PC/WT with which to extract various model "views" via viewports and the rest done with PC/WT using its tools and features. Also perhaps direct import of SK format 3D symbols.

PeterKona

Post by PeterKona » Fri May 14, 2021 8:29 pm

dFA wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:48 pm

Embarrassed to admit I had not come across the ‘Print Sheets’ feature - it’s been ‘Command-P’ for me all these years ! Would be nice if there was an option to print to a PDF set (as well as individual sheets) in the upcoming release.

Thanks again ~ dF
I really like the Print Sheets feature. I name misc. non printing sheets with an "x" prefix and my printing sheets are named and organized by sheet number at the top of the list. When I print the set. It ends up in one folder. I combine in Preview. Take the first sheet into Preview. Sort the others by name and drag them into the sidebar of Preview. Subsequent fixes can be replaced one sheet at a time, if desired.

It seems to me that at one time the sheets WOULD come out as one pdf, and something changed. Maybe this is something an Automator script can do.

PeterKona

Post by PeterKona » Fri May 14, 2021 8:32 pm

fred johnson wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 3:37 pm
Generally, what it sounds like is that, for a future direction, most would like some sort of basic (not BIM) 3D modeling capabilities WITHIN PC/WT with which to extract various model "views" via viewports and the rest done with PC/WT using its tools and features. Also perhaps direct import of SK format 3D symbols.
I for one, am not looking for that. Not 3d in PowerCADD. But a smooth, fast connection to another 3d software would be great. I think 3d in PowerCADD would be such a big project.

poolvibe

Post by poolvibe » Fri May 14, 2021 8:54 pm

I would just like PowerCadd to run at all on my new computer.

patrickm

Post by patrickm » Tue May 18, 2021 2:39 pm

poolvibe wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 8:54 pm
I would just like PowerCadd to run at all on my new computer.
Me, too!

BaughbLabs

Post by BaughbLabs » Wed May 19, 2021 2:13 pm

Personally, I don't need PC to be a modeler. I use it for 2d design and CD's. The problem I'm running into is not being able to upgrade my OS. This is affecting the use of other software such as Outlook, SketchUp and Fusion 360.

Oh please software gods, deliver us an update.

fred johnson

Post by fred johnson » Thu May 20, 2021 2:57 pm

Its good to hear from current users that some sort of 3D capabilities would not be desirable in a near future version of PC.

gwjohnson

Post by gwjohnson » Thu May 20, 2021 10:25 pm

I would definitely agree not to get into 3D. I have not found any application that is as elegant to use at 2D CAD, and I would say the main objective should be to get it running on the latest OS, not to expand its features. There are a few issues that have been noted which need to be addressed, but they are quite minor.

Greg J

patrickm

Post by patrickm » Thu May 20, 2021 11:30 pm

I'd concur with Greg J -- the current version of PC does all I need, I just need it to run on a current machine.