Update of PowerCADD for MacOS Catalina

PowerCADD & WildTools
Matt_A

BackGrade Catalina to Mohavay

Post by Matt_A » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:57 am

My mac mini is over ten years old. It was time for a replacement. I got a refurb iMac and it came today. Preloaded with Catalina.

If you are considering new hardware, but want to run PowerCADD you will want to know what the process is now, so you can be prepared.

You will need a Time Machine backup of a disk that includes the system you want on your new computer. Put that backup on a portable disk.

Connect that disk to the new computer, I used ethernet but you can do it with USB or other I think.

You startup the new machine with Command+R for Restore Mode

You get a startup screen with macOS Utilities
Choose Restore from Time Machine Backup
navigate to the source
select the backup, select the target disk (which will be wiped clean)

step by step under #2 at the link:
https://www.anyrecover.com/deleted-file ... e-machine/

Apple Tech support says there is no other way to install a non-current OS on a new machine.

So make sure you have a good time machine backup before you get a new computer until 64bit PowerCADD is available.
--
*edited to correct the spelling of the OS

DavidScottOrkney

Re: Update of PowerCADD for MacOS Catalina

Post by DavidScottOrkney » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:29 am

The other thing you could do is run Mojave in a virtual machine. I think the easiest method would be to use Parallels. They have a page on their website showing how to create a Mojave virtual machine either before or after installing Catalina:
https://kb.parallels.com/en/124786?_ga= ... 1583407043

It would be interesting to hear if anyone has tried this.

David

Howard in Durham

Post by Howard in Durham » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:30 pm

I havent' tried any of these downgrade strategies, but this article from Small Dog Computers in Vermont gives a pretty comprehensive overlook of the available option strategies. The title is moving from Mojave to Catalina, but the reverse option is also covered.

https://shop.smalldog.com/blog/2020/02/ ... -catalina/

malcineurope

Post by malcineurope » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:16 pm

You can run Powercadd within Catalina! You need Parallels or VM Fusion. I have Parallels as I need to run some Windows only programs. I then followed the instructions at https://uk.pcmag.com/news-analysis/1230 ... s-catalina to install Mojave before Installing Catalina. I can now run Powercadd within the Parallels virtual machine. Indeed this afternoon I have had Mojave, Windows and Catalina all running on the same machine at the same time.
It is best to install Mojave before upgrading to Catalina but there are instructions on what to do if you have already upgraded.

arogerr

Post by arogerr » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:37 pm

Is there any updates as to when the 64 bit of PowerCADD will be available? I've not upgraded to Catalina for precisely this reason.
Long time user from the "90's" (Yikes!), anxiously waiting! :P

Drew

Post by Drew » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:39 pm

What are the implications of the recent announcement of Apple's to shift to the ARM processor? Will this mean that there is going to be a delay to 64 BIT PowerCADD? Or will be have a smooth transition over the next couple of years, or so, starting with PowerCADD 10 coming quite soon :|

rjmuller

Post by rjmuller » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:28 pm

Sorry wrong thread

Rik Negus

Post by Rik Negus » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:31 pm

I started using PowerDraw in 1990, thats 30 years, I am a faithful user, I am now 75 and wondering if I will ever live to see the 64bit update to PowerCadd.
We are half way through 2020 and the new version is nowhere to be seen?
The current version 9.1.11 has bugs in a normal days use I have to restart it at least once if not more often.

What is the future of PowerCadd, where oh where is the fantom update?

Yes I am being sarcastic!

malcineurope

Post by malcineurope » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:00 pm

Rik
I sympathise! I have been using PowerDraw/Powercadd since 1988 and have been so concerned about having to choose between using it for my drawing work, or forgoing upgrades to the OS or the purchase of new computers that I need for the other programs I run, that I have looked carefully at and invested in other programs such as Rhino and Bricscad, as these run fine on the Mac. I have found that whilst these have their uses, particularly when exchanging information with other firms, they are not a patch on Powercadd for turning out working drawings.
My answer has been to have my iMac running Catalina and have Sierra running under Parallels. I can then run Powercadd without any problems. I do have 32GB of RAM. You may have problems with only 16GB if you want to run other programs at the same time.
The other problem which I have had over the last year or so is that all the wonderful new wildtools that Alfred had teased us, with stopped working with the current version of Powercadd. However, I know that Alfred is beavering away and very nearly there with an upgrade to WIldTools which includes all these new tools and will run on the current version of Powercadd. So hang in there :-)

arogerr

Post by arogerr » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:45 pm

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one concerned about the future of PowerCadd. I too am a longtime user, who loves the program, but I may have to make a difficult decision soon, with starting a new project and having to consider a new hardware purchase soon that will come preloaded with the latest OS. I'm not too keen on having to purchase and run Parallels just to run PowerCadd on a new machine. Now with the pending change Apple is making to ARM, are we going to have to wait even longer?
I have not upgraded to Catalina just because of PowerCadd!
Is the end of PowerCadd here?
I wish we could get an update from someone, so that we can plan accordingly...