Update of PowerCADD for MacOS Catalina

PowerCADD & WildTools
poolvibe

Re: Update of PowerCADD for MacOS Catalina

Post by poolvibe » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:03 pm

So no one knows it PC10 is still happening in 2020?

lava

Post by lava » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:08 am

poolvibe wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:03 pm
So no one knows it PC10 is still happening in 2020?
Curious, we all have the same info, yet I seem to know we will not see PC10 in 2020 but you do not?
Greg La Vardera
www.lamidesign.com

David Jones

Post by David Jones » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:57 am

I interpreted Todd’s post to say that PC10 64bit running on Intel is not going to happen, but that PC11 running natively on Apple Silicon was going to take its place, to be delivered in mid 2021. Does this mean there will be a Wild Tools version running natively within PC11?

David

blshaw45

Post by blshaw45 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:32 pm

MWolfe says that although Parallels doesn't support the use of two monitors when emulating Mac OS, it is possible to have Parallels with PowerCADD on one screen and Mac apps on another. That is true. However, is there a way to select which screen Parallels is on? I have a 13" MacBook Pro and two 27" Thunderbolt displays. The 13" monitor is near useless for working in PowerCADD but I can't get it moved to one of the Thunderbolt displays. If it is possible, can someone tell me how?

Brian Shaw

Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:50 pm

Brian,

I only have 1 screen so can't try this but if I run a virtual machine not in full screen mode it runs in a window that I can resize at drag anywhere on my screen. Couldn't you do this and drag the window onto your second screen?

Derek

blshaw45

Post by blshaw45 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:43 am

You are correct, Derek, in that disabling full screen mode allowed me to move PC to any of my three displays, but although I can re-size the window on a larger display, it just makes everything larger, resulting in poorer resolution. It does not allow me to enlarge the workspace. Pretty useless.

Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:21 am

Brian,

You can quickly adjust the resolution on any of your VM screens. You need to install Parallels Tools in the virtual machine and enable Show Developer Tools in the VM settings. The instructions are HERE

Once you've set it up, the menu option below will be available in the View menu. BTW, this option is also available if the VM is in Full Screen Mode.

As mentioned I only have one screen so maybe you could report back how it goes.

Derek
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 3.10.21 pm.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 3.10.21 pm.jpg (87.01 KiB) Viewed 45895 times

MWolfe

Post by MWolfe » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:00 am

To add to my saga posted earlier:
"Poetically" my 2013 iMac crapped out.
As an interim step (still hoping for a 64 bit version of PCadd in the future) I purchased a refurbished 2018 Mac Mini basic model from Apple for an acceptable cost to me. Apple Care is available-- which I got. This is actually quite a nice little box (USB-C connectivity, SSD internal drive, etc). It originally shipped with Mojave, but also has the T2 security chip.
On receipt it had Catalina installed. My first step was to successfully adjust the security settings to allow booting from an external drive with Mojave installed. Once I did that I downloaded the Mojave installer using the external drive and installed Mojave on the internal drive.
To sum it up: I now have a viable computer with the Mini to use PCadd, as well as a virtual PCadd installation w/in Parallels on my iMac (running Big Sur). The Mini uses my Thunderbolt monitor. I have to unplug the Thunderbolt monitor from my iMac to do this (The iMac can still be on and used for reference ie pdfs etc). Or, if the Mini is shut down, the Thunderbolt monitor becomes a second monitor for my iMac by plugging it back in. While not ideal, this is pretty easy as connecting the Thunder bolt monitor to either computer requires a Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter-- I have one for each computer which gives easy access. Since the mini has a minimal profile this setup works great at one desk.
This works well for me with a fairly minimal investment. Having a hardware solution for primary work provides better performance, and confidence in terms of speed/back up (time machine and exterior hd cloning)/crashes etc. Parallels provides convenience for small stuff using two screens fluently (as stated PCadd stays within Parallels)
Of further note: to keep Mini cost low I got the base model with a 256 mb SSD HD. This provides minimum elbow room. However I've had no problem keeping my document folder in iCloud and working from there, which mitigates the small drive. If I'm disciplined with location when saving, I can use the latest file from all of my installations--The Mini, External SSD HD to the Mini, or Parallels on my iMac (one at a time of course).

eugarps

Post by eugarps » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:36 pm

All,

PCadd users are a loyal lot. We jump through lots of hoops to keep our favorite CADD software alive. If Microsoft would have dealt us this hand we’d have found alternatives long ago. We truly must be a community.

Bill
The Ancient Civil Engineer
Bill Sprague
Ancient Civil Engineer

michael_volk

Post by michael_volk » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:02 am

Greetings,
Are you getting closer to releasing an update for OS Catalina?
Thanks for your reply.