Import Vectorworks to PowerCADD

PowerCADD & WildTools
David Jones

Post by David Jones » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:41 am

Is there another way to import Vectorworks files for Mac to PowerCADD other than dwg?

David

Alfred Scott

Post by Alfred Scott » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:26 pm

David,

I’ve tried to get them interested in OpenClip. You might encourage their users to raise the issue in their forums. OpenClip is ridiculously easy to implement. It took FormZ 12 hours to implement Copy to OpenClip.

And I wish more CAD programs would export Shapefiles. A few years ago I went up to a Wine, Cheese and VectorWorks event at their office in Maryland looking for ideas to steal. I had an extended visit with Sean Flaherty, the company president. He was envious of the passion he saw by users in the PowerCADD forum.

And the one idea that intrigued me was Shapefiles, which they import including more than just the polygons for area maps, but also data for population, statistics, etc. I don’t know if they export these as well. It’s really a GIS interchange and publishing format for maps of cities, countries, etc.

Alfred

David Jones

Post by David Jones » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:44 pm

Thanks Alfred,

David

fred johnson

Post by fred johnson » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:13 pm

It depends on the VWfile, which version it is and how it was created. Since, I believe, VW2010 autocad like viewports have been in the software although long time users still use the "scale by layer" feature. The best method may just be to have the vw user make a pdf then inport the file into PC and explode it.

johncruet48

Post by johncruet48 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:31 pm

I do use DWG to import 2D stuff from VectorWorks into PowerCADD. When doing elevation views in VW, I do each elevation, then render in Hidden Line, then select the elevation, then Select the command "Convert Copy into Lines." VW asks if you want to use Wireframe or Hidden Line; I select Hidden Line. When exporting to DWG an elevation view, I choose "Flatten Image" in the ensuing dialog. What this does is reduce the number of hidden lines that are imported when the file is imported into PowerCADD. My only complaint with this process is lately the DWGs have been imported with the line thickness defaulting at 0.25 point, which is too thin for my work. The obvious benefit to this approach, especially with building elevation views, is the detail that gets brought in during the import. That's especially true with bay windows which show their "true" configuration. Once brought into PowerCADD, it's then off to the races with PC's great 2D editing tools.