Corrupted File

PowerCADD & WildTools
RRRarch

Corrupted File

Post by RRRarch » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:08 pm

Hello, I just discovered an important file is corrupted, and now it crashes PCADD every time I try to open it. I do not have a backup, and it was a recently created file.

Back in the day, you used to be able to edit the file's creator using File buddy, or some such utility to fix these things, but that does not seem to be the problem. Anything else I can do to save it? Thanks

Alfred Scott

Corrupted File

Post by Alfred Scott » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:49 pm

If you have Time Machine running on your machine, you can get an earlier version of the file. I have a Time Capsule which saves me all the time.

Even though Apple no longer sells these, they are the best. I recently bought late model Airport Extremes on eBay.

And finally, as I recall the document package contains a pdf preview which you can use to replicate the drawing.

Alfred

Alfred Scott

Corrupted File

Post by Alfred Scott » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:37 pm

I'm now back at my office.

I can't find a way to open the document package, but there is a QuickLook preview pdf somewhere in there. You can select the file, press the space bar to see the preview. I suppose you can do a screen shot of that to get started on a new drawing.

But once a file is corrupted, there is no way to retrieve the file's contents.

Alfred

RRRarch

Corrupted File

Post by RRRarch » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:03 am

Yeah, thanks.

I have Time Machine, but there was no earlier version of it saved that was not also corrupted. I have a PDF from the file, so I'm not totally out of luck, but still, it'd be nice not to have to reconstruct these floor plans.

I also have the option of importing the PDF into illustrator and exporting to DWG, but it blows the layers. I will try that.

Matt_A

Corrupted File

Post by Matt_A » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:14 am

RRR -- in the Tool... menu, do you have the command PDF To Objects? It won't have layers, but it will give you vectors, if the pdf was written from vectors.