Layer Control and Move tool

Tell us what you want
Charles Freeborn

Layer Control and Move tool

Post by Charles Freeborn » Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:17 pm

I'd love to be able to select an object, right click to move it to a different layer that is not "on" in the layer menu. Presto that object formerly in my way disappears to it's happy and correct new home. As is the only layers visible with the "move to layer" command are ones that are visible.

When using the "move" dialog box it would be swell to be able to invoke the move with the arrow keys on the keyboard. As is one must select the move dialog, tab through the directions ( X &Y) numeric input from the 10 key, then go back to the mouse to invoke the move. I'd rather select the object, invoke the move menu with a keyboard command, leave the cursor on the drawing (on the object to move as this is where my center of attention is) numeric input the move distance and hit the appropriate arrow key and be on my way. Obviously only the left and right arrows would apply to X axis and up down to the Y.

Derek
Site Admin

Re: Layer Control and Move tool

Post by Derek » Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:25 pm

Charles Freeborn wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:17 pm
I'd love to be able to select an object, right click to move it to a different layer that is not "on" in the layer menu. Presto that object formerly in my way disappears to it's happy and correct new home. As is the only layers visible with the "move to layer" command are ones that are visible.
If you have WildTools, check out the Tornado Tool. This is exactly what it does.

Charles Freeborn

Post by Charles Freeborn » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:18 pm

I'll give it a look. Just have the habit of right click to manage an object (much more than layer change), but this old dog may be up for a new trick.
Thx.

PeterKona

Post by PeterKona » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:54 pm

I agree with your first request. While the tornado tool is fine once you set the the target layer, PowerCADD should allow you to move objects to a hidden layer, even locked layers, using right click contextual menu. This would be particularly good for layer setups. When you find an object that you do not want in the current layer setup but actually belongs on another setup (hidden at the time). SketchUp does this. It would save time. The current restriction is too much "nanny" interference IMO--as with the whole lock / visible layer scenarios in general.

On the second I am not sure what you are doing at present, but... Since PowerCADD does not "wait" for your command input like SketchUp, the TAB must be invoked while the move is in progress (so to speak).

First of all I usually only make moves in X and Y directions. If I am making a diagonal move it is probably to to snap to some object or guide. So for a x move I will begin a drag in the x direction and while holding the shift with my pinky hit TAB with my ring finger, type distance, then left click while keeping the shift down again.

NOW, I have migrated to using the WT move tool. So I use the command key for the tool. Move with shift down, then TAB (keeping shift down) as above. But with the WT move tool you can then only type distance and return, and done. It will stay at the direction you established. Still the main trick is to TAB while you still have the shift key down. You can probably find your own sequence but it becomes automatic.