Background Auto-Save

Tell us what you want
Matt_A

Background Auto-Save

Post by Matt_A » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:57 pm

Ok, Todd, I'll bite. I would love it if PowerCADD would auto-save in the background the way Word and Excel do, so that in the event of a crash or power loss, the next time I fire PowerCADD up it asks me if I want to restore from the previous session. This feature would be worth money to me. An enhancement to this feature would be an option convert the current auto-saved file into a zip archive (and deleting the previous one) when closing the drawing normally (so that somewhere on the computer is a folder with backups of all open PowerCADD files and zip archives of all PowerCADD drawings worked on in the past, say, week)

Derek
Site Admin

Background Auto-Save

Post by Derek » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:21 pm

Matt,
With regard to the last part of your request for saving drawings for the last week, I thoroughly recommend using Time Machine. It is so easy to retrieve any file from the backup.
Derek

Matt_A

Background Auto-Save

Post by Matt_A » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:03 pm

It is indeed difficult to resist the urge for ornamentation.

Marté

Background Auto-Save

Post by Marté » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:38 am

I too would really love to have the ability to background auto-save. I would need this to be to a backup file, not the open file. Ideally the process would save undo's as well. (Even more ideally it would take advantage of one of the CPU's unused cores so as to not bog down workflow when saving large files.) Saves could be after a specific number of operations rather than time since last save. It could even have toggleable incremental saving, i.e., each save has a different file name, e.g., file name plus time stamp or some such.

Rik Negus

Background Auto-Save

Post by Rik Negus » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:45 pm

Background Auto-Save
Please, please, please
It would save oodles of time (I also bill in oodles)
I have the save prompt set for 10min and the annoying window pops up to ask if I want to save, of course I do, that is why I set the prompt is it not? So why not just save and stop asking.
Time Machine is a God send, how many times have I gone back to resurrect some thing the was deleted.

Matt_A

Background Auto-Save

Post by Matt_A » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:50 am

I am going to bump this because I freaking realized I should have told Derek that Time Machine does not back up files *which have not been SAVED* ...It backs up things that are on the disk, and something that is only in memory is not gonna get collected.

So there!

Derek
Site Admin

Background Auto-Save

Post by Derek » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:28 pm

Hey Matt,
Please read my comment, particularly the bit where I said: "With regard to the last part of your request for saving drawings for the last week..." :roll:

Marté

Re: Background Auto-Save

Post by Marté » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:19 pm

All apps crash. After a crash, sometimes I want to reopen the file where I left off and sometimes I want to reopen the last saved version. When I reopen after crashing in, for example, Archicad I'm given that option—of opening the file as it was when I crashed or the last save. Love to see this in PC.