Wishlist Dump - Text

Tell us what you want
Matt_A

Wishlist Dump - Text

Post by Matt_A » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:29 pm

at the risk of monopolizing this subforum, here's my list of improvements to the way text is handled.

- I would be so grateful if the font list would show the fonts in use within a drawing at the top of the list, many other programs do this, separated from the font list with a horizontal line. I have many fonts installed, but use only a small subset of them in my CAD work.

- when Command+E to edit text, my machine always displays what looks like a white filled window. The text is only rendered black once I select it, and then only selected text is visible.

- Using the arrow keys when editing text is not fully implemented, frequently the cursor position gets stuck on a line break and will not move past it. Wish this weren't the case.

- Can text leading be added as a button (or buttons) in the text edit window? I should just learn to use the command keys.

- If you place a text object with a single click and then type, you cannot change the alignment of the text unless you manually enlarge the width of the field first. This should not be necessary.

- Transparency should work on text objects. Currently if you want text that is not 100% opaque, you have to put it inside a group, and set the transparency of the group. This workaround should not be necessary.

- Would like to be able to edit white text more easily. Wish you could trap the tool for white text and render it with the inverse of the highlight color (or just in white on a black background) when editing it. I use white text frequently and it is a royal pain to edit and fix typos.

morrieg

Wishlist Dump - Text

Post by morrieg » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:21 pm

It would be nice to be able to set the background color of text (the box the text is in) for example by applying the fill color to it.

Matt_A

Wishlist Dump - Text

Post by Matt_A » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:20 pm

I have recently reverted to using the Legacy Text tool ( the T icon not the A icon in the tool palette ) and I have noticed two behaviors that were superior in Legacy Text that are not present in Advanced Text.

In Legacy Text it is not necessary that the text bounding box exceed the minimum to set the alignment justification of the text.
In Legacy Text it is not necessary for the text to be inside a group in order to display an opacity percentage.

These behaviors are worth keeping, I hope they can be incorporated into the Advanced Text in the next release.

RRichards

Wishlist Dump - Text

Post by RRichards » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:16 pm

Hopefully the whole Legacy/Advanced Text thing will just go away and have a normal text tool.

Ralph