Post by deArch » Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:13 pm

December 26th...
Attachments
image.gif
image.gif (621 Bytes) Viewed 2973 times

nametabb

Re: PowerCadd 10

Post by nametabb » Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:49 pm

Like most everyone I have been as patient and supportive as can be. But the latest unfulfilled prediction of a mid December beta release is extremely trying. Over promising and under delivering without any continuing dialogue is frustrating. I realize that the development team has had its share of issues...But it is now time to release a beta version of the updated PowerCadd for your loyal customer base. Even a rough or buggy version would provide a real sense of progress and promise other than occasional posting here.

eugarps

Post by eugarps » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:21 pm

All,

I remember running the predecessor of PoweCAD on my Mac SE. anyone else? Yes I’m that old! I’ve kept up with PoweCAD and now only keep my old iMac in order to keep files. I’ve retired my engineering and surveying licenses, so I could probably be ignored as having no “skin in the game” but I still do volunteer work for overseas NGOs and would love to keep using PowerCAD.

At this point I’d be happy with a Public Beta in order to upgrade my files and move forward with my volunteer work. Instead, I’ve had to buy AutoCADD LT for the past number of years. Being retired, I can no longer justify that expenditure. I don’t know how many others are in a similar boat.

ENGSW, please throw us something or are you now totally out of the loop? If so, just let us know that. I don’t think AutoDesSys is making the transition of PowerCAD 9 to 10 a priority. They’re working on upgrades for their current users with updates and not us your longtime users.

Bill
Bill Sprague
Ancient Civil Engineer

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:37 am

I say this again. They have relesead a "private" beta for many months. Refuse or delay to make it "public" NOW is nonsense. Absurd. We want to see PC launch on modern MAC/OS, buggy or not, incomplete or not, isn't important.

Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:52 am

I understand where people are coming from but I tire of all this whingeing and threats of leaving PowerCADD. Just go or be silent.

Discussions pleading for the 'release' of a beta completely miss the mark as any such beta release would have an expiry date, just as it does now for the current pre-beta testers. So to think you'll be able to 'jump in' and convert all your files when such a beta is released would be foolhardy. It is quite possible the commercial release will be some time after the beta and if it expires before then you would be screwed. Just experience talking here without ANY knowledge of where things are at within AutoDesSys or EngSw.

I help manage this forum simply because I still believe PowerCADD has something to offer. It was dead in the water 2 years ago when EngSw indicated they'd pull out and cease development. Then a company took a considerable risk to fund and support it's rebirth. And make no mistake, in terms of programming, rewriting 100s of 1000s lines of code to bring it up to the ever evolving requirements of Apple was a HUGE undertaking. It is definitely taking longer than the whingers want but I can assure you it's taking much, much longer than any of the developers wanted or envisaged.

Move on if you have to but please stop thinking anyone of those who remain onboard want to hear your noise.

Regards,
Derek
Admin

NedB

Post by NedB » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:41 pm

64-bit has been around since 2005, with developers and users alike knowing that transition from 32-bit to 64-bit was on the cards - Apple assisted developers to transition smoothly, obviously some chose to defer and defer - we are know at the cusp of entering 2024 and where are we …… I believe forum contributors should have the right to ask, complain and push for some meaningful developer updates - they should not be shot down for their views.

This Christmas I have had to lug a dying iMac with me on holiday to enable me to carry on with work - I for one don’t see this as a sustainable work solution.

Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:59 pm

NedB wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:41 pm
... Apple assisted developers to transition smoothly, obviously some chose to defer and defer...
Correct. Your comments wont see the catchup getting done any faster. Get over it. It isn't about being shot down for having a view or an opinion, it's about reiterating the same view and opinion repetitively, time and time again that, IMHO is whinging. The milk was spilt. We all know it. You don't HAVE to keep telling us.

NeilY

Post by NeilY » Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:26 pm

Derek wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:59 pm
NedB wrote:
... Apple assisted developers to transition smoothly, obviously some chose to defer and defer...
Correct. Your comments wont see the catchup getting done any faster. Get over it. It isn't about being shot down for having a view or an opinion, it's about reiterating the same view and opinion repetitively, time and time again that, IMHO is whinging. The milk was spilt. We all know it. You don't HAVE to keep telling us.
Derek we know that but it's the silence - we were shown a working window in August 22 nearly 18 months ago and then virtually nothing, we have no guarantee that PC 10 will ever see the light of day.

We all appreciate what you do for the forum but we don't need an apologist for Engineering Software and the shabby way we are being treated

Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek » Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:57 pm

NeilY wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:26 pm
…. we don't need an apologist for Engineering Software and the shabby way we are being treated
Heck, not at all trying to apologise, just pointing out the reality of damage done years ago and no matter what any customer of software purchased more than 10 years ago says over and over and over again it wont get it updated any faster.

And that’s it, I won’t be responding to any more comments on this subject because I have expressed my view too many times already.

mdhawkins

Post by mdhawkins » Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:57 pm

NeilY wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:26 pm
Derek wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:59 pm
NedB wrote:
Derek we know that but it's the silence - we were shown a working window in August 22 nearly 18 months ago and then virtually nothing, we have no guarantee that PC 10 will ever see the light of day.

We all appreciate what you do for the forum but we don't need an apologist for Engineering Software and the shabby way we are being treated
We will continue to ignore Derek and his futile defense of Todd Stanley and AutoDesSys and keep voicing the issue at hand which is communication with the remaining installed base of users. Very simple and straightforward. All respectable software developers communicate a roadmap with their customers even if they fall behind in their schedule..

A monthly update of development is not much to ask. The lack of communication displays an arrogance as well as a disrespect of PowerCADD users.