PowerCadd 10

Derek
Site Admin
Re: PowerCadd 10

Post by Derek » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:59 am

patrickm wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:55 pm
On the plus side, I learned a new word (whingeing). As an American, I was familiar with “whining”, but not “whingeing”. Another benefit of the global community.
You can probably thank Noah Webster for that. :)

Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek » Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:16 am

joseph wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:47 pm
Hello everybody, happy new year! 2023 was a whingeing year but I’m sure 2024 will be a wonderful PC10 year! :)
Well said. I'm looking forward to 2024 and all of us getting PC10 up and running.

I wish everyone a happy and prosperous year.

Derek

Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek » Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:54 am

And just because I'm a tease, here's where things are at. Almost a thousand builds to date (983). Hold fast.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2024-01-02 at 7.48.15 pm.png
Screen Shot 2024-01-02 at 7.48.15 pm.png (7.95KiB)Viewed 2529 times

NedB

Post by NedB » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:46 pm

Thanks for the screenshot Derek. Whilst interesting to see it doesn’t exactly provide the updates forum members have been seeking - availability of the public beta to those that registered - update on programme for full release and what form sales will take - Please don’t categorise this as a ‘whinge’, as my questions (yes I’ve asked them before) still remain unanswered by those that can actually answer them.

Happy New Year

Mike Rutter

Post by Mike Rutter » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:48 pm

:D
Derek wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:54 am
And just because I'm a tease, here's where things are at. Almost a thousand builds to date (983). Hold fast.

RTCool

Post by RTCool » Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:01 am

BTW, one of the most common complaints on the SketchUp bulletin board system is that the developer never gives a clue about the status of the next version as in when it will come out or what to expect. There's usually a lot of defensive talk about a publicly traded company not leaking inside information to the public, blah, blah, blah... I guess by reading both bulletin boards, I get to hear this in stereo. I don't complain about it because it accomplishes nothing.

Lets hope 2024 is the year of rebirth, not just for PowerCADD, but for me personally, my first 100% PC drawing project in 1990~91. It just suffered massive water damage from a broken pipe, and needs a major restoration. It's been a challenge to open the old documents, not just PC but Excel and Word for that matter too. It's also been a chance to reflect on how much my workflow evolved since then. You all may or may not know it via the PowerCADD ad run in the MacWorld Expo magazine and other places in the late '90's.

Seriously? An 836x1081 pixel, 531 KB jpg is "too large" to upload here? How about a better bulletin board system this year too?

Try a link instead:
https://robertcoolidge.smugmug.com/CAD- ... -C3Rgf4J/A

fred johnson

Post by fred johnson » Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:33 pm

Thanks Rob, I had forgotten about those drawings, and , in fact, the other examples in the Drawing Room. As we await PC10 it may be a good idea to visit the DR and reflect on what has been accomplished using PV/WT over the years. Although I switched to VW years ago I still keep up with the forum and am waiting PC10 also, hey, you never know..

revival architecture

Post by revival architecture » Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:39 pm

I would love to see examples of y'alls work on VW. If you are old PCADD users, like me, I assume you have an appreciation for quality drawings, which is why PCADD is so helpful....line weights, use of fills/hatches, etc... organization of drawings. Ill see about starting a separate discussion on this forum where maybe we can show examples of work?

Keith Renton

Post by Keith Renton » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:13 am

Happy to share VW drawings. I’m still working on both PC and VW but all new projects have been exclusively VW for over a year. In terms of graphic output I can achieve exactly the same output from VW than I can with PC.

chip.clark

Post by chip.clark » Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:59 pm

I would also like to see some VW content and know how the transition was! I am in support of another topic going elsewhere for this (sorry PC forum...) and happy to share our experiences further.

Our foray into ArchiCAD was a failure for our 5-person office. We are seriously considering Rhino 8 now (no subscription cost, most graduating architecture students know it, 3D modeling, and integration with plugins), though I have not had a chance to dive deep into the new layout capabilities and run a project through it for proof-of-concept. February 01 is likely going to start our "jump off" unless we see some reasonable timelines and costs shared by ENGSW and AutoDesSys by then so we can make a proper "survival plan". It is becoming harder with each passing month to functionally operate on our machines with grossly outdated OS - Procore no longer works in old Safari (have to run an old build of Chrome, gross), and many other websites (UpCodes) are loosing navigational functionality as they update their web code and we are stuck deep in the past. Can't run new Sketchup, cannot run Enscape, can't run updated Adobe products, can't run cloud-sync apps without running modified terminal codes to keep legacy builds functional. It is really impacting our basic tasks and we can't keep working this way on "hacked" software code into 2024. If I were a solo shop I could limp along, but not tenable for multiple workstations... We have tried to hold on, but can't go on like this. Somewhat regretting not truly making the jump when Todd's "bad news" first came out; we pulled back when the "good news" came out. c'est la vie, no hard feelings towards others.

We will definitely buy a license of PC whenever it happens (so we can keep our principal productive, ha!), but all signs are pointing to making a transition to a software that has a demonstrated legacy for timely updates/tutorials/larger user-base, etc.

We wish the PC10 team the best and are cheering for them to cross the finish line and keep the best CAD software alive into the future!
Chip Clark