New PowerCADD screenshot!

NedB

Re: New PowerCADD screenshot!

Post by NedB » Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:29 am

…..that is a meaningful update to progress into the release of said version 10 and how it is likely to be licensed.

Hope that is clear…..

Robert

Post by Robert » Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:29 pm

Thank you Alfred
Alfred Scott wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:41 pm
Ned,

There is a new PC10 version in development and beta testing. When it’s ready to be released it will all be announced.

Alfred

Mike Rutter

Post by Mike Rutter » Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:18 pm

woot woot! :mrgreen:
Alfred Scott wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:41 pm
Ned,

There is a new PC10 version in development and beta testing. When it’s ready to be released it will all be announced.

Alfred

Alfred Scott

Post by Alfred Scott » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:42 pm

Please understand that is it is basic for any software development and beta testing that there is no public discussion.

I know this is frustrating from where you sit, not to be provided with progress updates, but that is just the world we live in.

I can just assure you that plenty of work is going on and that it is much easier to make comments and critiques from the outside than to do the actual work!

And as for exactly when something is going to be done, hell nobody knows that! You always think the last bug you fix will be the last one.

It’s a bit like asking when it has stopped raining. All you can do is observe how long it’s been from the last raindrop.

Alfred

david kropp

Post by david kropp » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:53 am

A quick update on PowerCADD v10. We are currently testing PowerCADD 10 with our distribution and development partners as well as a few users. We are producing weekly updates of PowerCADD 10 and getting regular feedback from the test group. The feedback has been positive and very constructive. We are very encouraged by the interest level and the amount of time the testers spend using PowerCADD 10 and sending us their feedback. At this point, we are keeping the test group small so that we can properly manage the feedback without slowing down the development process. We hope to expand the test group soon as PowerCADD 10 matures a bit more.

Some have asked if Todd is involved, and the answer is that he is the lead developer, and he is working with other members of our development and support teams.

We get a lot of questions as to when PowerCADD 10 will be released. The reality is that we underestimated the effort involved in the migration of legacy PowerCADD to today’s macOS operating system. We believe that it is in the range of a few months from release, but we do not have a specific date yet. We approached this project with the goal of producing a solid long-term solution not just a quick fix.

The good news is that the PowerCADD core is working well, PowerCADD 9 files open and perform well on PowerCADD 10, PowerCADD 10 is running on the latest operating system versions and is native on the latest Apple M1/M2 hardware. Most of the remaining work to be completed is some UI elements and tools which we are hard at work on as we write this note. We will share more information soon.

Thank you for your continued patience.

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:34 am

david kropp wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:53 am
Thank you for your continued patience.
Thank to you for your sincere and detailed update, David.
Alfred Scott, "this" is basic for software development, just to let you know.

nametabb

Post by nametabb » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:56 pm

Thank you Alfred & David for the updates. Please just a quick note once a month to update. Even if it is brief.

It is very reassuring just to hear you are working on PC10.

Robert

Post by Robert » Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:27 pm

Thank you David.
Exciting

NeilY

Post by NeilY » Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:35 pm

David

It's good to have some info on progress as others have said a monthly update on the software progress would be useful, but there must be a business plan on how you plan to raise revenue from this current investment it would be useful for us to know if this a one off purchase per upgrade, a yearly payment for updates or a monthly subscription, having this knowledge will allow us to make decisions on our software path, I'm sure that all of us want to know how we are going to have to commit to the future development path.

Pat971

Post by Pat971 » Fri May 05, 2023 3:35 pm

Thank you so much David for this needed intervention and essential update.

I think it is - naturally - difficult for Alfred to speak on the subject for the reasons he has mentioned and that is quite normal, it is simply not his job.
We, the users, are waiting for information that has no real value in his work as a developer and this ultimately generates more misunderstanding than anything else. We know that he gives his all. We can't thank him enough for his involvement in this project.
It's great that David can make this kind of message. He doesn't promise anything, but he says enough to allow us to make our own opinion and to help everyone to make their own strategic choices on the renewal of the machines since the subject is really there for us, users.

I see I'm not the only one in this situation, I have 2 Macs from 2012 that allowed me to run PC9 perfectly. So everything is cool... not really
My iMac died a few weeks ago and I get up every morning praying that my MBPro will not have any problems until PC10 is available.
I chose to buy a macstudio at the end of 2022, (it's clearly not fun to work on 2 machines but...), now, if I have a problem, finding a used intel machine quickly where I live is a real problem. And I'm not even talking about the interest of this investment...

So thank you for this encouraging message, I hope David that we can read you more often!

And above all, thank you for the work already done and all the best with the one to come!