New PowerCADD screenshot!

Keith Renton

Re: New PowerCADD screenshot!

Post by Keith Renton » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:10 am

Vectorworks, I have to say that having mastered the basics I find drawing and presenting in VW to be pretty straight forward. I can get the same visual effects on both my 2d and 3d drawings that I can with Pcadd and SU but with the added advantage of a single integrated package where elevations, sections and plans are all linked to the main model, meaning when you change the model the plans, section and elevations all update automatically without the tedious need to manually change everything.

I will say that to get to a decent level of proficiency I did undergo some intensive on-line one to one training which was invaluable. One of the agents here in the UK does a fantastic job at tailored one to one training.

Design layers are where you do most of your drawing and modelling (which can be both 2d and 3d). Sheet layers are the layers that you present your drawings using viewports taken from any or a number of design layers. It is within design layers that you will typically add annotations, dimensions, etc to the drawings although it is also possible to add further drawn information if you want to add further refinement or information to the drawing.

I did find classes to be a bit of a head scratcher initially but have now come to terms with these. They allow attributes to be allocated to objects and provide an additional level of control of what objects can be made visible within design and sheet layers

I've added a few examples of drawings created with VW
Attachments
example 3.jpg
example 3.jpg (198.38 KiB) Viewed 7753 times
example 2.jpg
example 2.jpg (221.41 KiB) Viewed 7753 times
example.jpg
example.jpg (501.02 KiB) Viewed 7753 times

Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:27 am

Hi all,

I'm thinking we need a new section in the Forum for discussions regarding other CADD packages and software. Once I get my head around the posts I'll move existing posts to the new section with new topics.

Derek
Admin.

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:32 am

Derek wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:27 am
I'm thinking we need a new section in the Forum for discussions regarding other CADD packages and software.
We have "Organizing to Move PowerCADD Forward" for this, if i'm not wrong -bottom board line.

Murdock

Post by Murdock » Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:54 pm

Hi Keith

Very interesting.

What version of Vectorworks do you use - ie fundamentals?

Murdock

Keith Renton

Post by Keith Renton » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:34 pm

Hi Murdock

I use Architect, it comes with a number of very useful tools applicable to building construction and detailing

Regards

Keith

Rik Negus

Post by Rik Negus » Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:56 am

I started using PowerDraw in 1990, version 3, PowerCadd has been my main tool ever since along with SketchUp.
At 77 I am still working (burgersarchitecture.com) an my boss has told me I am not allowed to retire. All the youngsters in the office are moving over to Revit and I am the only one using PowerCadd because of my expertise.
But this waiting for the new version is becoming frustrating to say the least, I can not upgrade from OS Mojave and therefore I am finding there are lots of other applications I also can not update. Also during a days work I am having to restart PC a number of times, some glitch somewhere.
So I am stuck between a rock and a hard place and the promised new version is still vapourware.
Users are tired of waiting and yes other applications are not PowerCadd but choices are made and people move on, by the time the new version is out there will be no one left to buy it.
Logically I should learn Revit to be with the rest of the team but they do not have a native Mac version.

The promised version reminds me of an old saying (pardon the language)
The promises that are never kept.
The check is in the mail
I will pay you tomorrow
and a new version of PowerCadd is coming soon.

chip.clark

Post by chip.clark » Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:31 pm

Derek wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:27 am
Hi all,

I'm thinking we need a new section in the Forum for discussions regarding other CADD packages and software. Once I get my head around the posts I'll move existing posts to the new section with new topics.

Derek
Admin.
I do not disagree about having a separate section for this; too many threads get taken over by tangent issues, so I thank you for the housekeeping. My apologies for helping to steer this one off course.

That being said: A great way to solve a problem is to not have it.
A separate forum section for alternative CAD would not be needed if we were not compelled to discuss it.
We would not be discussing it if there was communication about the state of PowerCadd so that dependent businesses can plan accordingly.

Unfortunately, it seems that most architects/engineers/designers aren't brilliant entrepreneurs (if they were, they would likely be doing something else with a higher return on effort...) and FORTUNATELY let passions for their profession cloud savvy business decisions at times. I am passionate about the results powercadd delivers to our Architectural practice, but it is starting to negatively impact production, forecasts, and bottom lines that are already arguably tight.
Chip Clark

Matt_A

Post by Matt_A » Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:38 pm

Here is a question I would like an answer from each of you folks who clamoring for news:

Is there anyone on the surface of the planet would wants the next version on your desktop more than David Kropp? Please provide names.

I am glad that David also requires that it be ready for release before cutting it loose. Creative endeavors are not like chemical reactions, they cannot be accurately timed.

We all get to choose if we are going to be a part of the solution or part of the problem.

Mike Rutter

Post by Mike Rutter » Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:39 pm

I want to be part of the solution!!!

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:06 pm

Matt_A wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:38 pm
Here is a question I would like an answer from each of you folks who clamoring for news:

Is there anyone on the surface of the planet would wants the next version on your desktop more than David Kropp? Please provide names.

I am glad that David also requires that it be ready for release before cutting it loose. Creative endeavors are not like chemical reactions, they cannot be accurately timed.

We all get to choose if we are going to be a part of the solution or part of the problem.
We are “accurately” speaking of years, not months.
A top professional software still 32 bit, mac is 64 bit since 2009. 13 years.
Be honest, be serious, probelm or solutions.