New PowerCADD screenshot!

PeterKona

Re: New PowerCADD screenshot!

Post by PeterKona » Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:42 pm

I had someone providing me with 2d line drawings in pdf from Vectorworks. Maybe things have changed, but they were so slow and large that they were close to unusable compared to PowerCADD output.

RTCool

Post by RTCool » Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:43 am

If it's a 2D view generated from a 3D model, there can be a lot of little broken lines and redundant lines; not an efficient 2D drawing. At least I see that coming from SketchUp model 2D views, so Vectorworks may not be any better.

Keith Renton

Post by Keith Renton » Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:47 am

It’s all about getting the setting right when you export to pdf. Too high a resolution means large file size.

fred johnson

Post by fred johnson » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:46 pm

I would expect that PC10 will have much better import capabilities as well as support for more file types.

PeterKona

Post by PeterKona » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:18 am

Keith Renton wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:47 am
It’s all about getting the setting right when you export to pdf. Too high a resolution means large file size.
I see that when making pdfs from LayOut-- you set the resolution for the document, you don't make a setting when you create the pdf.

But there isn't any resolution issue or setting when creating pdfs from PowerCADD and they are always crisp and efficient files--except when you include an imported bitmap.

My colleague was commenting that in a recent housekeeping, he is able to store years of work on his laptop drive, and he does a lot drawings. I think this is because of the incredibly small file size of PowerCADD. I suspect the new versions of PowerCADD will also make larger program files.

johncruet48

Post by johncruet48 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:14 pm

RTCool wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:43 am
If it's a 2D view generated from a 3D model, there can be a lot of little broken lines and redundant lines; not an efficient 2D drawing. At least I see that coming from SketchUp model 2D views, so Vectorworks may not be any better.
This has been an issue with DWG files imported from VectorWorks whereby multiple hidden lines result in big file sizes. While in VW saving a 2D file to DWG it is important to “flatten” the image. That could help.

Riccasoli

Post by Riccasoli » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:29 am

fred johnson wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:46 pm
I would expect that PC10 will have much better import capabilities as well as support for more file types.
This is also one of my reqests posted in the "Feature request" forum since long time ago. And a big step have been done by Alfred Scott with "shp" import capability; but more could be done, with SVG format for example! Let's hope that developpers will listen to these requests, but, first, will release asap the new PC10!

DavidScottOrkney

Post by DavidScottOrkney » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:14 am

RTCool wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:43 am
I get this a lot when I get sent DWG files from consultants. One of the features I love in PowerCADD is the Verify Drawing… command in the Tools menu. It often can make big reductions in file sizes as well as make the drawing much easier to edit in PowerCADD. Even working with PowerCADD itself you find that you can double-paste objects and not notice, or have off-page objects that you forgot about. I don't know if VectorWorks has anything like it but for me, it's these thoughtful and useful tools that make PowerCADD so great.

David

Alfred Scott

Post by Alfred Scott » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:59 pm

I worked on SVG for a while. It was a big project, and I stopped work on it when I realized the free program InkScape handled all this flawlessly.

Alfred

Riccasoli

Post by Riccasoli » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:31 am

Alfred Scott wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:59 pm
I worked on SVG for a while. It was a big project, and I stopped work on it when I realized the free program InkScape handled all this flawlessly.

Alfred
Yes I remember! Thank you Alfred for your efforts! but what about give the possibility to PowerCADD to import/export drawings from/to inkscape and many other OpenSource Graphic and Cad programs? In my opinion it should be a big advantage for interoperability..