New PowerCADD screenshot!

joseph

Re: New PowerCADD screenshot!

Post by joseph » Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:38 am

It's -really- about time to get a detailed update. We deserve it.

Mike Rutter

Post by Mike Rutter » Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:04 pm

Yes please. Throw us a bone.

arogerr

Post by arogerr » Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:43 pm

Claude wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:27 am
todd@engsw.com wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:35 am
Rik Negus wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:28 pm
Todd are you still involved?
Yes, I am still involved.

Due to the terse way people tend to communicate online, sometimes forgetting that there are actual human beings on the development side, I find spending much time in the forum robs engineering productivity.
Engineered Software forget that there are actual human beings and business owners on the customer side .
I second this comment

HL3

Post by HL3 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:50 pm

Hey Everyone,

My office is using a bit of a workaround for Powercadd 9 until V10 comes out and I thought I would share (I'm sure others have said this before.) Right now we have a new iMac running a virtual machine of Mojave via parallels. I'll be honest, it's not as smooth as running it on a native machine, but it does allow us to keep the machine up to date and still preserve the ability to use Powercadd. Parallels has gotten better over the past few years and has helped us use new programs while retaining powercadd for the detail-intensive drawings. It also keeps us from having to boot and reboot the machine just to use other programs. I hope this helps anyone that is looking for a workaround while the dev team works out the bugs for the V10. Beta tests are great and can take time but the quality is usually much higher for the users and devs in the long run after beta testing is complete.

HSD

Post by HSD » Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:40 pm

Many years ago, back in the PowerDraw years, after a several year stretch an upgrade was released. It had many of the features users had been asking for, and I switched my machines over to it and, being in the middle of several projects, finished them up and sent out drawings to clients. But then I noticed that certain lines were missing from my drawings, including those that had been sent out, and I traced this back to a specific sequence of keystrokes caused certain lines to disappear, poof, gone forever and this was so subtle that it had not been noticed, I re-loaded the previous version and re-did my drawings which was a very difficult process and embarrassing to clients to explain this too.
I wrote a very critical review on the PowerDraw forum-did the developers not understand the implications of releasing software that could create errors in drawings for construction? Shortly afterward I received a call from Bill Stanley-would I be willing to test pre-release versions to help ferret out these hidden errors? I was, and as this issue was corrected and during several subsequent upgrades I ran new versions on a separate older machine and did find a few similar issues that were corrected in the shipping versions. I could see that one change to a line of code can affect other sequences of code in a completely unanticipated way, and so subtly that it takes a lot of trial runs to discover, because you don't know what you are looking for.
So while we are all eager for the new version, understand that this needs to be done right-trying to meet a virtual deadline could be very problematic.
In the meantime, I have an older iMac for most of my work, including Powercadd and this works just fine, and have a Mac Studio for those programs which need the latest Mac OS (such as TurboTax)-it gets booted up about once a month which shows that for me at least, it's just not that big an issue.

NedB

Post by NedB » Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:17 pm

I think we all have a basic understanding of the time involved in updating the software but unfortunately we have a developer who is happy to operate under total radio blackout!

We are all having to operate with time consuming workarounds for our businesses to remain operational and productive - this is far from ideal - To remain productive it would be extremely useful to have an update on progress and timeline for release.

I thought something was being released today as the ESW website was down most of the morning in the UK - no such luck though.

I am totally frustrated - if I treated my clients this way I’d be bankrupt by now🙈

Alfred Scott

Post by Alfred Scott » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:27 pm

PowerCADD and WildTools are running just fine and are completely bug free. It’s incredible software and I have about 430 tools in WildTools. There is nothing like it anywhere in the world. I’ve run out of ideas for how to improve it.

I don’t understand the complaining.

Alfred

NedB

Post by NedB » Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:06 pm

Alfred that’s great to know……

The complaining is because the paying public aren’t being told anything about release, cost, etc. and I really don’t understand why that should be the case

Alfred Scott

Post by Alfred Scott » Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:41 pm

Ned,

There is a new PC10 version in development and beta testing. When it’s ready to be released it will all be announced.

Alfred

NedB

Post by NedB » Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:06 pm

Hi Alfred

V10 is what I’ve be been referring to all along - I’m fully aware of its development and the current beta testing.

My and I think everyone else’s frustration on this forum is the total lack of any meaningful update.