patrickm
Re: PowerCadd 10

Post by patrickm » Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:58 am

patrickm wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 10:51 pm
Keith Renton wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 6:24 am
Hi Patrick

I've been running 2 iMacs for a couple of years now, each sharing a second screen. I use the Synergy app which allows me to seamlessly use the same keyboard and mouse on both machines simultaneously and to copy and paste between machines. It works really well and allows me to jump between machines instantly. Each has a separate SS hard drive for back up via time machine

Regards

Keith
Thank you so much for mentioning Synergy to me. I bought/installed it and upgraded my old (2010) 17" MacBook Pro from Sierra to High Sierra, and I am off and running. Using the same mouse/keyboard for both computers really helps (and is better for my posture). Thanks for enlightening me!
Quick update on Synergy, for using the same keyboard and mouse for both my old 17" PowerBookPro (running PC9) and my new 16" MacBookPro (running everything else): I had been experiencing an annoying delay while using PC on my old computer, that seemed intermittent. I originally had Synergy set up with the MBP16 being the "server" (with bluetooth mouse/keypad paired with it). I switched the arrangement, pairing the mouse/keyboard with the old computer and making it the "server", and the delay is gone. Also, since I have my PC tool pallets at the right edge of the screen, I find it most efficient to physically have the old computer on the right, so I am not constantly scrolling off the screen.

Rik Negus

Post by Rik Negus » Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:44 pm

I am also 78 years old, I have used PowerCadd since 1990, running a 2017 27" iMac with two drives, one with the latest OS and one with Mojave to run PC, yes it is a pain switching back and forth but it does work (normally takes 2 minutes or so).

I don't know a thing about programming, it is a foreign language to me, but this seems to have taken a very long time, there is no point in complaining there is only acceptance of what is. I do have a choice and am very fluid in SketchUp and may try the next project in LayOut which is definitely not perfect but others seem to make it work. After 33 years of PowerCadd it is hard to teach an old dog new trick.

The office I work with have all gone over to Revit, but there is no Mac version and I will definitely not go over to the dark side.

Like everyone else I can only send good wishes to the developers and look forward to a speedy release.

nametabb

Post by nametabb » Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:28 pm

Just read where the newest MacOS "Sonoma" won't support the 2015 iMac I have PowerCadd running on Mojave. I guess I'll have a dedicated legacy iMac. It didn't come as a surprise only a matter of time. I now only use that iMac for PowerCadd. It is completely offline so as not to expose it to any malware or viruses. I have a newer iMac that is used for everything else. It is online and once the updated version of PowerCadd, that too will be on it.

My thinking is with the money I saved not updating PowerCadd each year I could definitely afford a new iMac every so often. I even got Vectorworks a few years back JIC. Haven't drawn one project on it as the productivity is not even close to PowerCadd.

Looking forward to and patiently waiting for the new release here.

Lester Tobias

Post by Lester Tobias » Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:40 pm

Rik Negus wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:44 pm
I am also 78 years old, I have used PowerCadd since 1990, running a 2017 27" iMac with two drives, one with the latest OS and one with Mojave to run PC, yes it is a pain switching back and forth but it does work (normally takes 2 minutes or so).

I don't know a thing about programming, it is a foreign language to me, but this seems to have taken a very long time, there is no point in complaining there is only acceptance of what is. I do have a choice and am very fluid in SketchUp and may try the next project in LayOut which is definitely not perfect but others seem to make it work. After 33 years of PowerCadd it is hard to teach an old dog new trick.

The office I work with have all gone over to Revit, but there is no Mac version and I will definitely not go over to the dark side.

Like everyone else I can only send good wishes to the developers and look forward to a speedy release.
I am only 65, but have been using PowerCADD (didn’t it used to be called Powerdraw?) from about 1990 as well. I too am considering going all in on SketchUp as the only viable alternative to what I am now thinking will be the final reality with PowerCADD, which is that even if they get it running on the 64 bit machines it will have lost the simplicity and elegance of the original. For the last couple of years I have been toting around two MacBook pros, one older model that just has PC running on the desktop, which I then update/upload each day’s work into dropbox for backup, and the newer one for everything else.

RRichards

Post by RRichards » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:04 pm

I'm in the same boat at 67. Worse is that the person I'm training in design and drawing has all but given up on PCADD. I now have TONS of programs that won't work on my main computer including a couple that are part of my normal work. I should mention that I'm using SketchUp for 80% of our design work, but I export DWGs and import them into PCADD as Sketchup's companion 2d program, Layout, is a piece of trash IMHO.

Ralph

desnbuild

Post by desnbuild » Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:12 pm

and another....Age 69 and have been using PD-PCADD since 1992. Jumped on here because of the conversation about work arounds for newer MACS/OS. Many of my software programs are out of favor with MOHAVE 10.14.6. I was going to move all drawing files to an external, with MOHAVE so I could upgrade my OS on laptop and desktop. It appears that many have updated beyond MOHAVE and my preference would be to try Synergy or another alternative to the external method. What OS can I upgrade to without creating new issues with PCADD and Wildtools. This of course may be limited by my MAC, but for now more a question of a safe OS upgrade.

Any help appreciated,
Steven

desnbuild

Post by desnbuild » Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:12 pm

and another....Age 69 and have been using PD-PCADD since 1992. Jumped on here because of the conversation about work arounds for newer MACS/OS. Many of my software programs are out of favor with MOHAVE 10.14.6. I was going to move all drawing files to an external, with MOHAVE so I could upgrade my OS on laptop and desktop. It appears that many have updated beyond MOHAVE and my preference would be to try Synergy or another alternative to the external method. What OS can I upgrade to without creating new issues with PCADD and Wildtools. This of course may be limited by my MAC, but for now more a question of a safe OS upgrade.

Any help appreciated,
Steven

RRichards

Post by RRichards » Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:19 pm

Steven et al.,

I setup PCADD on my laptop running Ventura via Parallels. It generally ran OK but there were always glitches, plus the fact that emulated operating systems can only use a single window. This arrangement is OK for looking at drawings but does not work for my day to day work as it uses too much of the 27" monitor, and recently it failed and I have to do the install from scratch.

Ralph

NedB

Post by NedB » Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:59 pm

Back on the 28 April 23 we finally had an update from David Kropp on development progress albeit it did not include any detail on future licensing or pricing, which many of us were trying to get answers on.

There was a commitment to ‘share more information soon’ - Some 8 weeks on I’ve not seen anything posted and as one of many patient licence holders, I would appreciate some news, hopefully with detail of release date, licensing and costs.

Hears hoping....................

Rick@Group3Arch

Post by Rick@Group3Arch » Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:00 pm

Still waiting for Gandalf to deliver the update.

https://media.giphy.com/media/fUm0aXBSxOU6I/giphy.gif