PowerCadd 10

arogerr

Re: PowerCadd 10

Post by arogerr » Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:03 pm

I can’t help but notice recent posts to the forum of those of us “mature” professionals who remember the art of drafting. Like cursive writing, basic drafting isn’t taught in schools anymore (having taught at the college level at several design schools), in favor of a multitude of 3D applications. Could that be the reason there isn’t much pressure to get PowerCadd updates. If they wait any longer, they my not have anymore users alive! Are we a dying breed?

revival architecture

Post by revival architecture » Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:28 pm

Age 50 here. Started with PowerDraw as an intern in 1997 so PowerCADD is really all I've ever known and ever want to know. I still have a good 15 years plus on me practicing and I would SURE love to leave the dual machine thing behind.... Cmon PowerCAD Peeps, get your loyal customers an update soon? Pretty please?

mdhawkins

Post by mdhawkins » Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:59 pm

NedB wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:59 pm
Back on the 28 April 23 we finally had an update from David Kropp on development progress albeit it did not include any detail on future licensing or pricing, which many of us were trying to get answers on.

There was a commitment to ‘share more information soon’ - Some 8 weeks on I’ve not seen anything posted and as one of many patient licence holders, I would appreciate some news, hopefully with detail of release date, licensing and costs.

Hears hoping....................
This is typical Engineered Software behavior (and now AutoDesSys) of leaving users in the dark... and they wonder why the PowerCADD market has dried up. By the time they release the update there won't be anyone around to purchase or even care! :lol:

Here is a great article about a long term user of PowerCADD switching to Vectorworks:
https://blog.vectorworks.net/eastlake-s ... -powercadd

Note the following quote:
Apart from its compatibility with Mac and user-friendly interface, we factored in that Vectorworks updates and advances their tech regularly, which, as we know, is not something PowerCADD was able to keep up with.

Vectorworks also opened lines of communication with end users and had support forums where Vectorworks staff participated and provided insight. That’s something we often missed in other products. Vectorworks has an emphasis on customer satisfaction and support that I believe is hands down better than the others.

If we hadn’t switched when we did, our business would be dead in the water, trying to figure out work arounds on how to keep the software operational on antiquated operating systems and devices. Vectorworks stays up to date with releases and reinvests in their product constantly in every aspect.

patrickm

Post by patrickm » Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:10 pm

arogerr wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:03 pm
I can’t help but notice recent posts to the forum of those of us “mature” professionals who remember the art of drafting. Like cursive writing, basic drafting isn’t taught in schools anymore (having taught at the college level at several design schools), in favor of a multitude of 3D applications. Could that be the reason there isn’t much pressure to get PowerCadd updates. If they wait any longer, they my not have anymore users alive! Are we a dying breed?
I think you might be right. I started hand drafting in junior high school, in the early-1970's, then did so in high school and college, at my first jobs, etc. In the early 1990's, we started using PowerDRAW, mainly because it was Mac-based and easy to learn if you already knew how to draft (and I was getting tired of erasing through velum). I'm 64 now, and tapering down my business, so I am reluctant to learn something new and hope to limp along with PC until the end. I still get complements about how easy to read my plans are (due to my replicating the line weights I learned in school). When I see plans developed by other firms, they just look like a bunch of lines, and it is hard to understand the hierarchy of information (quite possibly due to my hand-drawn background).

Keith Renton

Post by Keith Renton » Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:38 am

It sounds like we are all towards the latter end of our careers, I'm 61 and aim to eventually retire at 67 (UK state pension age for my age group). So my education was drawing board based and I too took to Powercadd due to the ability to replicate the techniques used on the drawing board. I used to say to people that I pretty much draw on the computer as I did on the board only I don't need a scale rule to mark off line lengths. Over time and with the availability of colour printers I've extended this with the use of colour to further enhance reading and understanding of the drawings. Sketchup came along that this added a further string to my bow and added 3D visualisations to my repertoire. Despite all the great things about sketchup it hasn't really made any great advances on the last few years and the move to an annual subscription and need for multiple add-ons to improve functionality has made it less attractive to me.

When we got the initial news that PC was no longer to be developed (ie left to die) I thought long and hard about what I should do and eventually did jump over to Vectorworks. It was expensive and the learning curve has been hard but I can honestly say it was well worth it. I can still produce the same quality of graphic representation that I did in PC but with the big advantage of a single package that can produce 3d, 2D drawings and much more. The ability to update a whole set of drawings (plans, elevations, sections, etc) by adjusting only the 3D model is a vast timesaver.

I still use PC for older projects, but these are now coming to an end. I hope for all you guys sake that there will eventually be a PC version 10 and that this will keep you moving forward.

JoyceWeise

Post by JoyceWeise » Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:29 pm

Keith, I purchased Vectorworks recently and haven't started learning it yet. Any recommendations for getting started?

I am not going to abandon PowerCADD, just want to make sure I can continue working. Since we have had no communication about when we will see the update or at least any information about development on a regular basis and Vectorworks was at the ASLA convention last fall in San Francisco I decided I better have something to fall back on. It was an expensive purchase but like you said Vectorworks has a lot of great features.

I really want to believe we will see PowerCADD 10 but as each day passes I am feeling less optomistic.

I hope they prove me wrong.

Joyce

cadmonkey

Post by cadmonkey » Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:00 pm

Hi Joyce,

I transitioned from PC to VW in mid 2020 and have been very happy with the investment. While not as simplistic as PC, VW has some incredible features that have significantly improved my workflow. Specifically the notes database, data-driven title blocks, worksheets, and linked callout tags. I am now using BIM for additions and new builds; the ability to design in 3d and have your 2d drawings (sections, elevations, plans) automatically created and updated is invaluable. There will definitely be times when you want to throw your computer out the window; PC does some things better than VW and vice versa. Best to slog through knowing there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Vectorworks University is your first stop and your license should give you access. Second, Johnathan Reeves has a Youtube channel with tutorials going back as far as 9 years. He covers some basics, but focuses more on the advanced rendering and BIM capabilities. Third source is the Vectorworks Forum. If you have a question, someone there has an answer.

Best of luck!

Keith Renton

Post by Keith Renton » Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:32 am

Hi Joyce

I can second cadmonkeys recommendations regarding the VW university. Doing the the courses takes a lot of the frustration out of the process. I also can vouch for Johnathan Reeves, I paid for some one to one training with him (via zoom) and it was invaluable to getting things working the way I wanted.

I remember the initial learning curve with PC (moving from a drawings board) and reckon it was pretty much the same as that with VW. You just have to persevere and you’ll get there, it will be worth it!

Keith

JoyceWeise

Post by JoyceWeise » Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:35 pm

Keith and CadMonkey,

Thank you so much for the advice. I really appreciate it. I did have a learning curve with PC and expect the same with VW. I will check out Jonathon Reeves for sure and already have looked through my options in VW university. I'm thinking about VW training in person this winter. I seem to learn faster with in person training in a classroom setting.

I am also anxiously waiting for PC 10. Really wish we would hear something.

Joyce

patrickm

Post by patrickm » Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:55 am

In looking at the VW yearly subscription costs (and no alternative for a perpetual license), I’m actually contemplating going back to hand drafting if/when PC is no longer viable.