PowerCadd 10

Matt_A

Re: PowerCadd 10

Post by Matt_A » Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:04 pm

The whining, bitching and moaning will not accelerate the beta or final release by one millisecond.

Mikeconcentric

Post by Mikeconcentric » Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:23 pm

Matt_A wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:04 pm
The whining, bitching and moaning will not accelerate the beta or final release by one millisecond.
How much are you paid and where can I apply? :roll:

Matt_A

Post by Matt_A » Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:39 pm

The only pay I get is the pleasure of using PowerCadd with WildTools.

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:38 pm

Delay after delay, I expect i will draw a line in pc10 in march to watch it appears on screen in july :mrgreen:
Anyway, a serious question. Will pc10 graphics rely on “Metal”? to be fassssst?

eddiebello

Post by eddiebello » Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:47 pm

Heck, not at all trying to apologise, just pointing out the reality of damage done years ago and no matter what any customer of software purchased more than 10 years ago says over and over and over again it wont get it updated any faster.

And that’s it, I won’t be responding to any more comments on this subject because I have expressed my view too many times already.
Hi Derek,

I actually appreciate your comments very much. Everyone is frustrated with how long things are taking, and that's understandable, but I agree that it does no good for people to bitch and moan on this forum. There's enough of that already in social media.

No one is forcing anyone to keep using Powercadd. It's been basically free for me to use since I last upgraded--and that was many years ago. Just about any decent software that I can think of requires at least some type of annual subscription payment. That has not been the case with Powercadd, so again, everyone has already gotten what they paid for. (FYI, I would be completely fine with a subscription-based format for PC 10, if that makes it more financially sustainable.) And to repeat what others have said, if you don't like the current situation, fine--just sign off and shut up.

Like some others, I have been a user since the early PowerDraw days. I know several other architects in the city where I work who are also like me, anxiously awaiting an update. None of them have posted on this forum. It's a wonderful program. My biggest worry is that somehow those responsible for the update will be discouraged by the small but vocal group of whiners, and thus will feel like they have no reason to finish the update. Hopefully they know that there are many who are like me, patiently waiting for its (hopefully soon) arrival...

My two cents. Happy New Year, Y'all!

JoyceWeise

Post by JoyceWeise » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:52 pm

I have been using PowerCadd and Wildtools since around 2001. It would be nice to hear some news, but I would rather the folks working on the update continue working than take time to post updates. Once a month would be nice.

Regardless I will wait for the next version of PowerCadd and hope that Wildtools will be a part of it. I miss hearing from Alfred.

I think everyone has a right to their opinion and I don't consider it complaining, I get it. I have a backup in place if I need it, but I will wait and hopefully be blown away with the update.

Have a wonderful New Year everyone.

Joyce E. Weise ASLA

Rik Negus

Post by Rik Negus » Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:37 pm

In my last post I said that I was going over to the dark side and using Revit. I bought a new Mac Studio, loaded Parallels and Revit (trials) and then spent a number of very frustrating days looking for the shear simplicity that exists in PowerCadd and SketchUp. Now in my 60th year of doing what I do, the last 33 with PowerCadd I can say that Revit is an over priced piece of third rate crap.

Fortunately Apple will allow me to return the computer, the boxes are awaiting the courier to pick up. As for my employer next Tuesday he gets to make a choice as he wanted me to move to Revit as have everyone else in the office. The choice is simple I continue to do work for him in PowerCadd and SketchUp or I retire. What is left of life for me is to short to spend in shear frustration, two simple things 1. change the font size and type, ain’t going to happen 2. delete that file, a five step process into oblivion.

Todd, PowerCadd 9 has everything I could ask for, it just works, nothing is broken it just needs to run on the latest OS and I do realize that is not an easy feat to achieve.

I have a saying which has served me well all these years:
When everyone runs to one side of the boat (Revit)
You will find me on the other side of the boat (PowerCadd & SketchUp)

NeilY

Post by NeilY » Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:00 pm

There must be a different definition of whinging in some parts of the world I haven’t seen whinging but I have seen a concern from users about what is happening to the software that they love to use and feeds them and their children whilst keeping a roof over their heads, we don’t want the upheaval of change and have held off for a long time in the hope that PC10 would appear.

Somebody said that we have had it for free for years, yes we haven’t paid since the upgrade to PC9 but that is a failing of Engineering Software, their business plan and the lack of upgrades and support that would have allowed them to monitize the product. After the launch of PC9 I’m sure some of us will remember that there were people on forums who were trying to buy the software whose emails and phone calls were unanswered.

Architosh wrote the story 26 months ago that AutoDesSys and Engineering Software were joining forces, a screen shot of the software was uploaded by David Kropp a year later now 14 months on from that we have heard very little, Mid December public beta has come and gone in silence, if you tells us there will be a release then please explain why it didn’t happen. We all need to plan for continuity of work so today I reactivated my Vectorworks Select Service which led me to wonder what PC10 is worth in cash terms, I have three software licences Vectorworks, Powercadd and MacDraft.

Today to renew my Vectorworks cost me £390 Uk excl taxes that’s about $490 at todays exchange rate for that I get access to the Vertorworks University, a considerable amount of training information, technical support both telephone and on line, online seminars and a modern BIM compliant software package that is updated for the coming year.
At the other end of the spectrum I can have MacDraft professional package which I can update from V7 to V8 for £169 excl taxes that’s $215 (albeit that’s with a 20% discount).

So how much are we willing to spend on PC10, for me it’s between these figures

patrickm

Post by patrickm » Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:08 pm

I don't have any specific whining about PC other than what has already been said, but I would say that I am much more satisfied with the transition that Quicken made when it was modernized. I was concerned when Quicken was bought from intuit, thinking it would be run into the ground. Instead, the new developers sent an email explaining their situation, what they hoped to deliver, then they delivered on it. The current Mac Quicken is alive and well and functions in the modern Apple ecosystem. I really wish PowerCADD did the same. My (technological) life would be so much simpler.

Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek » Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:13 pm

NeilY wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:00 pm
There must be a different definition of whinging in some parts of the world
Whinge
complain persistently and in a peevish or irritating way