PowerCadd 10

mdhawkins
Re: PowerCadd 10

Post by mdhawkins » Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:31 pm

chip.clark wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:59 pm
February 01 is likely going to start our "jump off" unless we see some reasonable timelines and costs shared by ENGSW and AutoDesSys by then so we can make a proper "survival plan". It is becoming harder with each passing month to functionally operate on our machines with grossly outdated OS - Procore no longer works in old Safari (have to run an old build of Chrome, gross), and many other websites (UpCodes) are loosing navigational functionality as they update their web code and we are stuck deep in the past. Can't run new Sketchup, cannot run Enscape, can't run updated Adobe products, can't run cloud-sync apps without running modified terminal codes to keep legacy builds functional. It is really impacting our basic tasks and we can't keep working this way on "hacked" software code into 2024. If I were a solo shop I could limp along, but not tenable for multiple workstations... We have tried to hold on, but can't go on like this. Somewhat regretting not truly making the jump when Todd's "bad news" first came out; we pulled back when the "good news" came out. c'est la vie, no hard feelings towards others.
Chip,
Many people are in the same situation (I struggle with the same outdated OS and related software issues) and will take the jump to another software. I would like to always have PowerCAD as part of the software toolbox but definitely not rely on it based on the lack of development, support, and communication.

What Vectorworks package is similar to PowerCADD? Vectorworks Fundamentals?

I'm looking for mainly producing 2D drawings with no 3D, BIM, etc.

Thanks for any guidance.

PeterKona

Post by PeterKona » Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:18 am

RTCool wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:01 am
You all may or may not know it via the PowerCADD ad run in the MacWorld Expo magazine and other places in the late '90's.

Seriously? An 836x1081 pixel, 531 KB jpg is "too large" to upload here? How about a better bulletin board system this year too?

Try a link instead:
https://robertcoolidge.smugmug.com/CAD- ... -C3Rgf4J/A
I remember that! Very nice!

David Jones

Post by David Jones » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:03 am

I, like everyone on the forum, is looking forward to the release of PowerCADD10. I too have the problem that Microsoft Office and Adobe Suite and some other software no longer work on Mojave.

To futureproof myself I have installed Ventura 13.x on an external 4TB OWC boot drive which I can use on both a 2019 iMac and a 2019 MacBookPro, and left Mojave on the internal drive on both computers.

I have installed Parallels on the external boot drive and installed Mojave within Ventura. By sharing the external boot drive with Mojave, I can access drawings from either operating system. And it works just as fast as Mojave did natively, or at least there is no perceptible difference. Also, I haven’t had a single problem since I set it up last July.

That now means that I have PowerCADD9 with WildTools running within Parallels. When PowerCADD10 is released it will run using the data in the same folder. I can save a .pc10 file back to .pc9 and open it in PowerCADD9 and use WildTools on it, and then if I wish, reopen it in PowerCADD10. Remember that PowerCADD10 will have no WildTools when released. What I have done, gives me the best of both worlds.

My 2019 Intel Macs support Sonoma 14.x and I would like to think that Apple will still allow MacOS 15 to boot the 2019 Intel Macs because they have only recently completed the MacPro transition to Silicon, and the 2019 MacPro owners deserve at least one more upgrade of system software. By the time MacOS15 is released, hopefully some native WildTools for PowerCADD10 will become available.

So don’t rush in and buy Apple Silicon Macs for a while!

David

David Jones

Post by David Jones » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:45 am

What I failed to mention is that when Parallels is installed on an Apple Silicon Mac, you can’t install Mojave on it because there is no Intel chipset available and there is little possibility of an Intel chipset emulation ever becoming available. Of course this means no possibility of running PowerCADD9 plus WildTools. Therefore if you can acquire a 2019 Intel Mac, that will give the best and fastest solution.

David

e30

Post by e30 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:14 pm

I bought a 2019 Macbook Pro as it still runs Mojave but also have it dual booted for Ventura. I still use a 2017 iMac running Mojave as my primary system and have not run into too much fuss with compatibility issues. I use Office 365 and Acrobat 9 Pro they still work fine. Good to know about using a Mojave VM. I have one of those created already but have not tried PC in it.

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:48 pm

david kropp wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:15 pm
Just a quick note to reassure the PowerCADD community that we are committed to the modern PowerCADD. We have encountered a number of technical challenges and unexpected medical issues with our team that have us far behind our goals. At this point, we hope to release a public beta around the middle of December.  We are looking forward to sharing the new PowerCADD with you once we feel it will meet your expectations
Any update?

jmmanrique

Post by jmmanrique » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:27 pm

Obviously they haven´t met ours expectations, so we had to wait for a little more time.I hope be soon

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:15 am

I don't know, probably it's me. If I say (write...) "see you around the middle of december" and then I am late, in the middle of december i say (write...) "sorry folks, we are late, see you xx/xx/xxxx!". This is a correct way of going on. Should be.

Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:34 am

joseph wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:15 am
I don't know, probably it's me. If I say (write...) "see you around the middle of december" and then I am late, in the middle of december i say (write...) "sorry folks, we are late, see you xx/xx/xxxx!". This is a correct way of going on. Should be.
Sounds fair enough.

Just a thought, Joseph, maybe you could also PM those you’re trying to communicate with as they may not frequent this forum as often as you think.

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:28 pm

Derek wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:34 am
Just a thought, Joseph, maybe you could also PM those you’re trying to communicate with as they may not frequent this forum as often as you think.
Good idea! I did it (just now)