PowerCadd 10

bkla

Re: PowerCadd 10

Post by bkla » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:22 pm

Long time user (since 1991) and lurker here for a few years but never posted before. My first intro to "Powerdraw" was working with the LA parks department when they sent us some files created in powerdraw. I was using Architrion at the time on a IIci with a Radius TPD (my own hardware) and was blown away by the quality of the 2D drafting that was possible in powerdraw. Knew Barry Isakson and used his "Building Code Analyst" Hyprecard stack for many years! (still have my original SE with that software installed!)

Relocated to the PNW in 1993 to a firm that was using both Powerdraw on a number of macs and the early auto cad (on one PC). As I recall, they only had 4 licenses so everyone fought over who got to connect to the network to use powerdraw - as it was far better in ease of use. I used Architrion to do my design in 3D but all cad production was done on PowerDraw. Purchased my own PD licenses (2) in 1995 when I formally opened my own office and have kept one active to date. Still use it even though we moved to Revit in 2015. Never learned Revit, but as principal I saw the value in the "youngers" learning the program (revit) in school and being able to produce for an office right out of school.

I still use powercadd 9 on an old 2011 27" iMac to do tenant improvements, reflected ceiling plans and detailing for some of our smaller jobs, that I can do personally. I truly enjoy using wildtools and printing out concepts, etc. that still blow away the staff with the quality of presentation that powercadd offers. I am that old guy who drafted by hand, struggled with early 3d and 2d drafting but fell in love with the quality of the production afforded by Powercadd. My office has 30 + years of powercadd created plans and details that still amaze staff when they pull up an old project created in powercadd.

I am very heartened to hear that powercadd will continue with version 10. It will not supplant our office use of revit, but I can continue to draft and create wonderful drawings as I slowly sunset my career as a practicing architect. I can open and "detail" in revit, but I would much rather produce (and feel far more pleasure) in working with powercadd for my remaining years.

thank you!

patrickm

Post by patrickm » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:53 pm

bkla wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:22 pm
Long time user (since 1991) and lurker here for a few years but never posted before. My first intro to "Powerdraw" was working with the LA parks department when they sent us some files created in powerdraw. I was using Architrion at the time on a IIci with a Radius TPD (my own hardware) and was blown away by the quality of the 2D drafting that was possible in powerdraw. Knew Barry Isakson and used his "Building Code Analyst" Hyprecard stack for many years! (still have my original SE with that software installed!)

[snip...]

thank you!
In the 1990's, I worked for an architect in Corona del Mar, CA, and we did a lot of public restrooms and other structures for various park agencies. We were introduced to PowerDRAW by the LA parks department, too. We also went to a "day in the life of an architect" seminar led by Barry Isakson, which is what finally convinced us to buy PowerDRAW. While I still worked for that architect, I bought my own PD license, for my moonlight work. PowerDRAW and PowerCADD have certainly added to the enjoyment of cranking out drawings over the years. As I contemplate winding down my practice, I look back fondly at my relationship with PD/PC...

patrick

Keith Renton

Post by Keith Renton » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:40 pm

Is it only me, but does it not seem strange that these questions are only now being asked when, at the same time, we're told a public beta testing phase if about to begin?

Should have added that I'm talking about the tools we want to be incorporated into PC10?

rjpotter

Post by rjpotter » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:06 pm

Hi Keith,

It was in relation to Wild Tools as Alfred Scott has said he won't be developing these, so Todd had asked for an indication of any priorities for tools additional to the Powercadd core toolset.

Jonathan

NeilY

Post by NeilY » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:49 pm

rjpotter wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:06 pm
Hi Keith,

It was in relation to Wild Tools as Alfred Scott has said he won't be developing these, so Todd had asked for an indication of any priorities for tools additional to the Powercadd core toolset.

Jonathan
Thats the Todd Stanley that hasn't been active on the forum - last visit was six months ago

patrickm

Post by patrickm » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:05 pm

Back in August 2023, Todd asked about which tools are most important to PC users, so this isn't a late development. I emailed ES with my list shortly thereafter.
[email protected] wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:19 pm
johncruet48 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:26 pm
I'd rather see just the most useful WildTools be incorporated into PC10. For one thing, the 3D tools don't need to be incorporated if porting PowerCADD data into FormZ is a feature. Having one complete set of drawing tools in one palette, and another set of modifying tools in another palette, is what works for me.
Since at this point the future of WildTools is uncertain, we are working to fill this need with PowerCADD 10 native tools. What do you consider to be the most important tools which should be incorporated into PowerCADD 10.

Best,
Todd

chip.clark

Post by chip.clark » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:40 pm

Not sure how many of you check the FormZ side of the partnership coin, but they launched their new website and V10 yesterday.

https://autodessys.com

scroll to the bottom of the page. it will likely pique your interest.

I wouldn't mind test driving the latest FormZ v10 software, but it essentially requires OS12 to install it (minimum 10.15 with limitations) and so it should go without saying why I won't be sampling it any time soon.
Chip Clark

jmmanrique

Post by jmmanrique » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:19 pm

Tye most interesting aspect of the Form 10 website update is the inclusión of Power cadd with a delivery promise.

AudiA4

Post by AudiA4 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:18 pm

jmmanrique wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:19 pm
Tye most interesting aspect of the Form 10 website update is the inclusión of Power cadd with a delivery promise.
I'm not one of those running around flipping out about the schedule (I'm confident the launch will happen soon), but to be candid, the Form Z website doesn't make any delivery promise other than "Coming Soon".

joseph

Post by joseph » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:12 pm

Just trolling around :mrgreen: (30/01/2024: "PowerCADD v10 Beta II will be released in about a week". That old song.)