Vectorworks Architect

Here is where you can discuss other applications
johncruet48

Vectorworks Architect

Post by johncruet48 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:36 pm

VW Architect is a great program. That is why I re-invested in it. I've had this program since 1996 when it was MiniCAD. I've used it to build models in which I can extract elevation information, which, for the working drawings phase, I sometimes transfer this to PowerCadd. Especially with elevations which have angular views, I find the accurate representation of such elevations is crucial. I find that, even in standard Renderworks mode, it produces nice renderings. Doing the early years of my practice, before computers, 3D representation from me was just adequate, with my having to use perspective grids under-laid under my tracing paper, print these out in blackline, then color them up with magic markers. VW Architect is a valuable tool for taking me through the design phase pf a project. Should PowerCadd 10 fail to materialize, I'll develop an approach whereby future projects will be done in Vectorworks, in all phases, and I'll use my current laptop for archiving PowerCadd materials.

johncruet48

Re: Vectorworks Architect

Post by johncruet48 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:49 pm

This is an example of a drawing which utilizes the elevation view developed in Vectorworks, and translated into a PowerCadd working elevation.
Attachments
Greenway Sheet A201.JPG
Greenway Sheet A201.JPG (506.57 KiB) Viewed 13533 times

revival architecture

Post by revival architecture » Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:41 pm

I just posted on a different thread about a separate discussion of seeing examples of work from VW. Wondering if there are more PCADD users out there that can show me your work done in VW? I would really like to see what it can do in terms of working drawings/details. Thanks.

Keith Renton

Post by Keith Renton » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:47 am

Some working drawing/details attached.

Plans and section created directly from 3d model with additional 2d annotations. Details drawn in 2d. Resolution not great as these files were created from hi res pdf files.

Happy to send better images direct if anyone is interested
Attachments
864T-07SECTIONS A_ B and C.jpg
864T-07SECTIONS A_ B and C.jpg (361.42 KiB) Viewed 3963 times
864T-04PROPOSED HOUSE  PLANS.jpg
864T-04PROPOSED HOUSE PLANS.jpg (348.15 KiB) Viewed 3963 times
864T-DS04Detail Sheet 4.jpg
864T-DS04Detail Sheet 4.jpg (342.48 KiB) Viewed 3963 times

revival architecture

Post by revival architecture » Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:47 pm

Very pretty Keith. I would love to see the higher res. images up close if you dont mind sending me directly. My email is aaron@revivalarch.com

I would be interested in knowing at what point you decide to abandon the 3D and focus on the 2D information, assuming that is what you do? What little experience I have with BIM, which is generally frustrated, is watching the struggle with the model at the expense of quality 2D drawings. While the 3D is obviously helpful, to a point, it can become an incredible time suck--and worse, cause young interns to focus strictly in the model w/o time developing the line weights and presentation quality of the 2D sheet. So do you "abandon the model" or do you attempt to model literally everything to intense degree relying on the software then to generate details?

Keith Renton

Post by Keith Renton » Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:06 pm

Hi

I’ll email over some drawings when I’m back in the Office on Monday. Re 2D/3D. I tend to model the the building in quite a bit of detail. This will include foundations, walls, windows and door objects, roofs, 3D objects for kitchen units, shelving, bathroom fittings and main structural elements (such as beams and posts). Line thicknesses, hatches and fills are set up within the attributes of each object, wall style, floor slabs and roof styles. So that when you convert to plans and sections then attributes Carry through to 2d drawing. Same is the case for window and door objects. Basically most 3D objects have both 2D and 3D attributes so are hybrid objects. What you see will change depending on how you view the Model (ie in 3D view or 2D view).

For large scale details I tend to draw these fully in 2D unless there is a complex junction which I’m trying to explain. 2D drafting is very similar to PC. Line thicknesses, fills hatches etc can all be controlled via attribute menus. You can create styles which will control of the attributes in the same way you have styles in PC.

There’s a lot to learn but once you’ve gone through the learning curve (which is hard) the benefits are substantial.

Cheers Keith

revival architecture

Post by revival architecture » Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:35 pm

Thanks Keith. I look forward to seeing your drawings. One of my main complaints so far about line weights/ BIM is that the software attempts to draw all the lines no matter what scale you're at... Say if in your model you show drywall, then you want to show the floor plan at 1/8" scale, the software shows the thickness of the drywall at 1/8" scale..so even if the line weights are set correctly, when drywall prints at 1/8" scale you have the effect of throwing off line weights intended. Now it may be that in the settings, while modeling, you can control which lines appear at what scales and so the struggle I am witnessing is simply my interns not learning everything (even though I have tried to communicate this need to find the right settings).

fF PowerCAD flops, which seems more likely by the day, I may have no choice but to learn Vectorworks once and for all and figure it out on my own (scary to think some old guy can figure something out with software better than the younger generations can). Unlike what most people say here, when I make this final switch to VW, PC will be 100% in my rear view mirror.

chip.clark

Post by chip.clark » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:39 pm

This is compelling content.

I and another were the test subjects in the office for making the jump to ArchiCad when the "bad news" came out. ArchiCad people were great to work with (shares same parent company with Vectorworks) and very helpful, but ultimately I cancelled the effort on account of how long it took to "set up" drawing attributes and get relationships between objects functional. I have never had to click so many boxes and enter so many sub-menus.... and the results were underwhelming. what drove me over the edge was that once you entered 2D mode and tried to make any changes in the details, it would not update the main model!!! so much for BIM...

I'm a rhino guy from version 3 back in architecture school, and its my go-to for my side-work doing complex reverse-engineering and fabrication drawings for the sculpture world (see latest: constellation sculpture in Chicago), and with rhino 8 improvements to drafting and layout, I might try to jump to it for my replacement of PCadd. I have big hesitations though, as noted by Revival, about having to 3D model or suddenly create scaled viewports from 1:1 drawings. I have come to greatly appreciate WYSIWYG in permanent paper space for architectural production work.

come February, I may be reaching out to you all about Vectorworks again.
Chip Clark