Mojave VM on an M1 Mac

PowerCADD & WildTools
poolvibe

Mojave VM on an M1 Mac

Post by poolvibe » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:27 pm

So now the topic at hand will shift to preserving a method to run the current version of PowerCadd as long as possible. Of course we can keep old Macs around but it would be nice to basically preserve a time capsule (VM) of the current Mojave/PC setup to use for another decade. I am just starting a thread so we can share any insights or info etc...

pjmeli

Re: Mojave VM on an M1 Mac

Post by pjmeli » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:30 pm

poolvibe wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:27 pm
So now the topic at hand will shift to preserving a method to run the current version of PowerCadd as long as possible. Of course we can keep old Macs around but it would be nice to basically preserve a time capsule (VM) of the current Mojave/PC setup to use for another decade. I am just starting a thread so we can share any insights or info etc...
I'm on board but you suggested Mohave wouldn't run in the upcoming VMWare because ARM…
Has something changed your mind?

Regards
Paul

poolvibe

Post by poolvibe » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:38 pm

I'm on board but you suggested Mohave wouldn't run in the upcoming VMWare because ARM…
I haven't seen any Mojave or older OS X VM's run on an M1 Mac. I am hoping it becomes possible. I was hoping there are others that need the same solution.

pjmeli

Post by pjmeli » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:08 pm

poolvibe wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:38 pm
I haven't seen any Mojave or older OS X VM's run on an M1 Mac. I am hoping it becomes possible. I was hoping there are others that need the same solution.
I will for sure. They can pry PowerCadd from my cold dead hands…

Have been considering Form Z since Sketchup went subscription model, but PowerCadd wil be hard to give up

Wonder if Alfred will be chiming in?

Paul

poolvibe

Post by poolvibe » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:16 pm

Any kind of VM, Emulation, whatever..... The other CAD packages I have looked at are just awful :oops:

Matt_A

Post by Matt_A » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:21 pm

pjmeli wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:08 pm

I will for sure. They can pry PowerCadd from my cold dead hands…
+1

Alfred Scott

Post by Alfred Scott » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:52 pm

I’m not at all discouraged. No way I’m going to another program or stop working on WildTools. Right now I’m fighting with 3D Threads for Nuts & Bolts.

Maybe five years from now I might envy running on a new machine, but right now I don’t begin to care.

PowerCADD has always been fast, but I’m on High Sierra and a SSD. It takes about a second to start up. The only situation where speed was an issue was in importing huge numbers of topo points. We were able to make it 6X faster with a change in passing a variable in a routine. Same exact programming but it involved passing a const reference to a PDObject instead of passing the PDObject itself.

So cheer up everyone! If you want more speed, get a SSD.

Alfred

poolvibe

Post by poolvibe » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:20 pm

Alfred.... Some of us can't stay on old machines because of other software and it's impractical to carry 2 laptops around if mobility is needed.

pjmeli

Post by pjmeli » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:01 am

poolvibe wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:16 pm
Any kind of VM, Emulation, whatever..... The other CAD packages I have looked at are just awful :oops:
Just read through the VMWare and Parallels blogs. I'm not optimistic about running Mojave in a VM on an M1 Mac…
VMWare isn't planning to prioritize running MacOS's in a VM right away anyway…
Even if they eventually do, it probably won't run Mojave…

Parallels supposedly will run Big Sur in a VM on an M1 but that won't help…

Looks like we'll have to stockpile older Macs
You can still buy Intel-based Mini's on the Apple website

I have PowerCadd running in a VM on my 2018 Mini and it's snappy, faster than running native on my 2014 Mini

Paul

MWolfe

Post by MWolfe » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:01 am

I picked up a basic 2018 refurbished mini, including Apple Care. it shipped to me with Catalina on it but I was able to install Mojave as that was the original OS for that model. Powercadd runs great on it. In addition, I have the choice to run mojave on an external start up drive once the security chip is configured to allow starting up from an external drive. So that machine is capable of keeping Powercadd going in a couple of ways. I use my iMac's (which is fairly new and won't run Mojave) 2nd monitor for the Mini when I want to use PCadd. I also run PCadd in Parallels in the iMac. I keep my docs in iCloud so they're available to both machines (which seems to work). The cool thing about the mini is it wasn't too expensive-- about $600, its new, and it fits on my desk with my iMac. I think this setup will work for quite a while. At some point Apple won't provide security and Safari updates for Mojave etc. Then it'll be a machine primarily dedicated to PCadd and not used on the internet for much