Patrick Marr

Tell us who you are, where you live, what you do....
patrickm

Patrick Marr

Post by patrickm » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:27 am

I'm an architect and civil engineer (specializing in structural engineering of buildings) in Santa Barbara, CA. I've been using PowerCADD (well actually PowerDRAW), since the early 1990's, and WildTools since the mid-1990's. I'm a sole proprietor one-person office, mainly doing residential projects. I grew up hand drafting, then switched to CADD when we discovered PowerDraw.

I've been a Mac user since 1985 and have only owned one PC in my life, which was a piece of junk. I like my life in my shiny Apple world and love that I can draft on my Mac with PowerCADD. My drawings still look similar to the way they did when I hand-drew, with varying line weights, etc, and I frequently get comments about how readable they are.

I've been part of a PowerCADD forum since the old AOL days and am so relieved to have clicked on the "Forum" link in the ES website that lead me here.

(I liked that we could be more back in that old forum, enjoying reading about Alfred's flying/music exploits and remember another user who would report in on his annual "crappy" tournament (which apparently referred to fishing).

I'll be back often and look forward to getting to know everyone.

patrickm

Patrick Marr

Post by patrickm » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:37 pm

I should also mention that, although I got sick of it at times, I do miss hand drafting and the craftsmanship of doing so. I've been using my iPad Pro/Apple Pencil2/Morpholio Trace app to sketch details at times, which I save as PDF then place into my plans. (I use a template of my typical detail module with a "clearprint" grid as one of the base layers, which I use for formatting so the details fit into my standard sheet layout.) It feels good to draw by hand (electronically) at times without being hunched over a drafting table. If there was a way to incorporate more of this into my PowerCADD work flow, I'd be interested in finding out how.

Matt_A

Patrick Marr

Post by Matt_A » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:19 pm

patrickm wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:37 pm
I should also mention that, although I got sick of it at times, I do miss hand drafting and the craftsmanship of doing so. I've been using my iPad Pro/Apple Pencil2/Morpholio Trace app to sketch details at times, which I save as PDF then place into my plans. (I use a template of my typical detail module with a "clearprint" grid as one of the base layers, which I use for formatting so the details fit into my standard sheet layout.) It feels good to draw by hand (electronically) at times without being hunched over a drafting table. If there was a way to incorporate more of this into my PowerCADD work flow, I'd be interested in finding out how.
https://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/pe ... tiq-pro-32

RTCool

Patrick Marr

Post by RTCool » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:31 am

I tried a Wacom Bamboo on the iPad, and it was OK, but palm rejection was not good. Now I have an Apple Pencil and it's much better. I've really only dabbled at drawing on the iPad. I was motivated by seeing what my (high school) students were doing with it.

I've use Wacom tablets since 1993 IIRC, but for quite a while now, the functionality of pressure sensitivity in WildTools has been broken.

Drawing with pencil is a wonderful feeling that nothing else quite matches.

Alfred Scott

Wacom Tablet Response

Post by Alfred Scott » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:24 am

Rob,

I checked the responsiveness to pressure and tilt with SketchTools a couple of days ago, and it worked just fine.

I don’t remember if the stylus has a battery or if it gets charged.

Alfred

RTCool

Patrick Marr

Post by RTCool » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:53 am

I'm stumped what to do or say. The Wacom works fine in all applications in general, and pressure sensitivity works in Adobe applications, just not in PC/WT. Am I not using this tool right?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-08-11 at 11.50.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-11 at 11.50.04 PM.png (39.83 KiB) Viewed 34014 times

Alfred Scott

Patrick Marr

Post by Alfred Scott » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:06 am

Rob,

Ah! All this works using Carbon tablet events which may now be obsolete on your machine or OS. There is a modern Cocoa version which I have yet to embrace but will soon.

Best advice for now, get younger!

Alfred