Not quite OT- New Printer

PowerCADD & WildTools
johncruet48

Not quite OT- New Printer

Post by johncruet48 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:02 am

One aspect of me as a PowerCADD user is that I still have occasion to print out wide format prints in house. So imagine my disdain when I tried to order cartridges for my HP DesignJet 111 and found out these were being discontinued! So there was a number to contact HP for further information. When I contacted HP the response was that, as there are no longer cartridges available for the HP 111, there also is no replacement for these cartridges. But HP would like to sell me a new wide format printer. The replacement turns out to be an HP designJet T200 series. I got the T230. I did get a modest discount from HP on the price- as it turned out, similar to what I paid for my 111 12 years ago. Printer was received four days after I ordered it. Setup was easy. Unlike the 111, the printer stays in deep sleep and awakens when it is summoned to print. Print quality in “speed mode” is excellent and crisp. It takes 28 seconds to print a C sheet, and only 40 seconds to print out each D sheet. I printed out one color exhibit- an enlarged photo at 180 DPI and the colors seemed true enough when compared to what was shown on my monitor. I have my printer set on a slower setting for color to ensure sharpness. It still took only 1 1/2 minutes to turn out an 18 x 24 color print. So, know that if you are faced with this same dilemma, the HP T230 in my opinion is actually an upgrade to the old 111. I’m liking this printer!

bellarchitect

Re: Not quite OT- New Printer

Post by bellarchitect » Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:23 pm

Hi John, I use an Oce Plotwave 300 which is great. It’s BW and if I need color (which is not normally needed) I go to Staples or I reduce the file to 11x17 and print on my office copier in color. Yes, the Oce is a lot more expensive, but, I’m not crazy buying cartridges at a crazy price from HP or the other inkjet companies. I had a non-digital Oce for about 15 years until a major part stopped working - I really never had to service it. I would buy another digital Oce again. BTW, I bought my current Oce on EBay from a former Oce dealer near me for more than half the price of a new one ($12,000) with only 1500 feet on it. The printer Gods were smiling upon me 😀. Happy Thanksgiving!

rjpotter

Post by rjpotter » Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:41 pm

We bought an Epson SureColor SC-T5100N Large Format Printer which has been very good and fast to print.

lava

Post by lava » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:52 am

I long ago had it with my HP plotter, and Epson photo printer for that matter. I went for everything Canon and have been very satisfied. Hope to never go back. IPF670 and Pro9000II.
Greg La Vardera
www.lamidesign.com

fred johnson

Post by fred johnson » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:42 pm

Hello John,
I also have an HP 111 and some extra ink and printheads so, for the near future I'm OK.
I will be looking into the HP T200 series for the coming year, thanks for the "heads up".

johncruet48

Post by johncruet48 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:57 pm

lava wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:52 am
I long ago had it with my HP plotter, and Epson photo printer for that matter. I went for everything Canon and have been very satisfied. Hope to never go back. IPF670 and Pro9000II.
Back in 2010 I had a Canon 36" wide format printer. It used ink tanks. These were not refillable. Also, the print head, which was a pricey $700US, kept failing. I coaxed Canon into replacing it under warranty. When I gave up my office, I was able to sell this albatross to my office neighbor- a map printing operation. Was happy with the designJet 111- only had to replace the print heads once in its 12 years of ownership. See how it goes with the DesignJet T230. Only need to print D size prints maximum. I send large print orders out to a printing service.

fred johnson

Post by fred johnson » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:43 pm

John,
What mac OS is the T230 compatible with - website does not list operating systems.
Thanks

lava

Post by lava » Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:02 am

johncruet48 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:57 pm
Back in 2010 I had a Canon 36" wide format printer. It used ink tanks…
You could call the ink cartridges “tanks” as they are quite large - I compared the cost per ml for ink with the current small HP plotter when I made my purchase, and the HP ink was much more expensive. If there was some problem with print heads I’ve not experienced it. My Canon has been much more reliable than my HP. The Canon can also handle 3” rolls which decreased the cost of media for me. There was no comparison - the Canon is a small carriage version of their large format commercial printers. The HP is a wide carriage version of a desktop printer.
Greg La Vardera
www.lamidesign.com

Joe Mattei

Post by Joe Mattei » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:38 pm

I have a Cannon IPF710. It makes great prints and other than changing the printheads once I have been using it for years with no problems. When I upgrade my IMac OS software and add the new PowerCADD, the printer/plotter becomes obsolete. There are no drivers for it that will work. So when I upgrade I have to add the cost of a new printer/plotter too!

lava

Post by lava » Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:22 am

Joe Mattei wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:38 pm
I have a Cannon IPF710. It makes great prints and other than changing the printheads once I have been using it for years with no problems. When I upgrade my IMac OS software and add the new PowerCADD, the printer/plotter becomes obsolete. There are no drivers for it that will work. So when I upgrade I have to add the cost of a new printer/plotter too!
That’s odd, because drivers for my IPF670 are fully up to date. I wonder if there is a third party driver that might work - the Unix CUPs package?
Greg La Vardera
www.lamidesign.com