WildTools Developments

PowerCADD & WildTools
Alfred Scott

Re: WildTools Developments

Post by Alfred Scott » Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:30 pm

I have just uploaded a new copy of WildTools 10.6.

In PowerCADD, select WildTools Updates from the Help menu.

This will take you to a web page for WildTools 10.6.

Click on Download WildTools Development Version link.

Recent changes:

Expiration Dates
Expiration dates for new features pushed out into the future.

WildTools 3D—3D Extension Dimension Tool
This tool is buggy, and I can’t figure out how to fix it. It works fine, places a good dimension, and then you often get a crash. Best approach is to use the tool, save and then switch to another tool.

Code Signing
Code signing is turned off now, so you will get a warning from the system.

Expiration Dates

Expiration dates for new features pushed out into the future.

I have deleted a proposed Fence Cut tool. I was not able to get it working right.

I have previously included MattTools and DerekTools, but they are not included here.

I have previously included SimpleTools which was intended as a replacement set of tools for PowerCADD, but I’ve eliminated this. Instead it makes sense to wait to see what changes will be made to PowerCADD.

Doors & Windows—Window Pane/Muntin Tool
There is a new Window Pane/Muntin tool included with a concept from Matt Arnold. The idea is that you can create window panes and muntins by drawing an enclosing rectangle. It’s important to set the scale of the drawing to something sensible for the size of windows.

I’m sure you are all aware of the announcement of the collaboration between Engineered Software and PowerCADD and AutoDesSys and FormZ. This is a wonderful development. Ten years ago, working with David Kropp at AutoDesSys we developed the ability to Copy in PowerCADD and Paste in FormZ with the OpenClip format that we worked out, and I’m encouraging and hoping that the ability to Copy in FormZ and Paste in WildTools can be hooked up again. This was working once and the programming is still in PowerCADD and WildTools to handle this, and you can experiment with these capability with the OpenClip Viewer App which you can find at www.openclip.net where all of this is discussed.

You may be amused to check out Bozo Technology which you can turn on in the WildTools preferences. It provides a mechanism to ‘encourage’ you to update to a new version of PowerCADD that might be offered at some point in the future. It is harmless and annoying and you can simply delete the silly extra objects placed in the drawing.

Picture Frame Tool
Added photo of Phil Loheed.

Text Tool—WildTools
Eliminated ‘classic’ Text tool, which placed obsolete text objects in the drawing.

Nuts & Bolts
Fixed Canadian square tube error.
Fixed depictions of flat and oval head 3D screws.
Changed drawing of 3D threads from polygons to Beziers.

Thicken Tool—WildTools
3D Thicken Tool—WildTools 3D
Perspective Thicken Tool—PerspectiveTools

Now produces Beziers from circles, arcs, rotated ellipses, etc.

Plan Title Tool—Doors & Windows

Fixed crash.

Alfred

Alfred P. Scott
5407 Patterson Ave, Suite 202B
Richmond
VA 23226

(804) 353-1713
cell (804) 690-4591
alfred@seqair.com
alfred.scott@me.com
www.seqair.com

nametabb

Post by nametabb » Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:39 pm

As always...Thank You Alfred!

DavidScottOrkney

Post by DavidScottOrkney » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:03 am

Thanks Alfred. Happy New Year! And great to hear the update over at the PowerCADD10 discussion forum. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=299&p=2153#p2153.

David

Charles Freeborn

Post by Charles Freeborn » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:43 pm

Hi Alfred,
Since installing the latest upgrade I'm experiencing an odd behavior with the single and double line tools.
They seem stuck in "wiggle" mode. I.e. it draws squiggly lines all the time.
Is there a setting I'm overlooking?

Also the parallel offset line tool cause a crash when used on a rounded rectangle.
The

Matt_A

Post by Matt_A » Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:21 pm

Bozo Technology is at work there, Charles. Download and install the current release version of WildTools from the website in the Help >> WildTools Updates... Menu. The timer has been pushed out into the future.

Until you're able to do that you can simply delete the squiggly element -- the clean one you created will be there right underneath it.

DavidScottOrkney

Post by DavidScottOrkney » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:10 am

Matt_A wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:21 pm
Bozo Technology is at work there, Charles. Download and install the current release version of WildTools from the website in the Help >> WildTools Updates... Menu. The timer has been pushed out into the future.

Until you're able to do that you can simply delete the squiggly element -- the clean one you created will be there right underneath it.
Hi Alfred,

Bozo's kicked in again today. Can you update the development version?

Thanks

David

chip.clark

Post by chip.clark » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:54 pm

Can Bozo just get turned off at this point? I appreciate the intent, but it seems to be a serious nuisance for everyone involved now.

This is just a monthly reminder of being tied to the mast of a long-outdated software that is languishing through modernization efforts, with the added insult of hampering production work flow until an "update" is reissued. Are critical updates really being made to Wild Tools at this point that require this level of developer control? Seems like a real headache for a developer to get monthly "prompts" to update the software. Definitely a headache on the user-end of things. We have people in our office that have reverted back to older versions of wild tools purely because they refuse to be impacted by Bozo each month.

What if the unthinkable happens to Alfred? Do we all revert back to until PowerCADD gets released next year. Pardon my optimism regarding powercadd.
Chip Clark

c.szollosi.nj

Post by c.szollosi.nj » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:34 pm

Third clown banging his head against Bozo's wall this fine day.

Go to open up PowerCADD and get some work done when who should come to visit but Bozo stopping by to say hello. Dutifully quit PowerCADD, download the latest and greatest version of WIldTools, following instructions to the tee making sure to even dot the I's. And voila, Bozo is still in the house, making a general nuisance of himself.

Please, please, please can we get a copy of WIldTools which will allow Bozo to leave the premises and perhaps not make a return until an updated PowerCADD is closer to being a reality than a carrot continuing to dangle on the end of a long line?

MCharek

Post by MCharek » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:23 pm

1:20 pm Eastern time: Just hit "Download WildTools Development Version - Compatible with current shipping PowerCADD 9.1.11" from the WildTools Update page. Installed WildTools to replace existing copy. Bozo is still there. This is costing me time to delete the squiggly thing every time I use one of the Bozoed tools. Where should I send the bill?

Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:38 pm

The last updates of the shipping versions of WildTools and PowerCADD are still available on the PowerCADD site. I keep a copy of the .dmg file on my Mac as it is Bozo free, just in case.

You get them HERE.