New PowerCADD screenshot!

Rik Negus

Re: New PowerCADD screenshot!

Post by Rik Negus » Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:09 am

With all due respect to Todd and others doing the work but this is becoming a real problem.
The rest of the world has moved on and because I am locked into OS Mojave I am left behind.
My other major program is SketchUp and I can not upgrade to SU2023
I downloaded a very valuable extension to SU called PlusSpec and was really looking forward to using it, it does not run on OS Mojave.
I have being using PowerCadd since 1990, I am 78 yrs, if there was another way and I have looked at a few I would be gone.
I ask to be part of the Beta group but I guess I don't qualify.
So as Alfred say I just got to be patient.

Rik Negus

Post by Rik Negus » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:32 pm

My patience is running out, because of the PowerCadd delay I am 4 versions of the MacOS behind, I can not update SketchUp from 2021, other programs are also not able to update.
I think I have a solution which I should have thought of before, I have cloned my Mojave OS to a separate start up drive with just basic programs and PowerCadd on it, it is very slow with the drive I am using but I have ordered a SSD drive which should make it a lot faster.
Having done this I can now update my OS and SketchUp on my main drive to the latest versions.
The drawback is to go from one to the other program I have to quit and restart off the other startup disk.
I do very detailed construction models in SU showing all the studs, joist, mechanical etc. SU will produce floor plans, section, elevations in 2D from the model which are opened in LayOut (not the greatest) but adding PlusSpec will bring up in line with the Revit people who are the people I work with.
I am thinking my days with PowerCadd are over, I can keep it as a legacy program on the separate drive for opening old files, the current project I am working on will most likely be the last on PC.
Yes there will be things which I will miss but there will also be big gains.
I am awaiting my SSD drive before I can say how well this will work.

morrieg

Post by morrieg » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:44 pm

For the handful of applications I need to use that don't run on Mojave, which is my desktop, I use my MacBook that runs the latest OS, and just mount my desktop's HD from my laptop. All the data files are still on my desktop so if I need to, I can get to those same files from either machine.

RRichards

Post by RRichards » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:13 pm

Rik Negus wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:32 pm
My patience is running out, because of the PowerCadd delay I am 4 versions of the MacOS behind, I can not update SketchUp from 2021, other programs are also not able to update.
I think I have a solution which I should have thought of before, I have cloned my Mojave OS to a separate start up drive with just basic programs and PowerCadd on it, it is very slow with the drive I am using but I have ordered a SSD drive which should make it a lot faster.
Having done this I can now update my OS and SketchUp on my main drive to the latest versions.
The drawback is to go from one to the other program I have to quit and restart off the other startup disk.
I do very detailed construction models in SU showing all the studs, joist, mechanical etc. SU will produce floor plans, section, elevations in 2D from the model which are opened in LayOut (not the greatest) but adding PlusSpec will bring up in line with the Revit people who are the people I work with.
I am thinking my days with PowerCadd are over, I can keep it as a legacy program on the separate drive for opening old files, the current project I am working on will most likely be the last on PC.
Yes there will be things which I will miss but there will also be big gains.
I am awaiting my SSD drive before I can say how well this will work.
SketchUp 2022 does run on Mojave if this is a help. I've been using it that way for a year.

Cheers

RTCool

Post by RTCool » Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:40 pm

I'm hoping to jump from SketchUp 2020 to 2022 shortly. 2023 isn't so pressing, but 2020 is about to be dropped from support like 3D Warehouse etc. I set up a dual boot machine a while ago - Monterey and Mojave. The OS complains that Monterey disk formatting isn't compatible with Mojave, but I think it's not a fatal problem from what I've read, but it is a fly in the ointment.

Rik Negus

Post by Rik Negus » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:40 pm

My problem is I want to use PlusSpec with SketchUp and it does not run on Mojave so I need to update the OS

RTCool

Post by RTCool » Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:28 am

So that forces an either or decision. A dual boot setup lets you do one or the other depending on which OS you boot under - which is not really great, or two different machines and sharing files back and forth. That takes more space, but is probably faster and more efficient. Neither is ideal.

revival architecture

Post by revival architecture » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:10 am

So do we know if the beta version of the update is out there yet? Any beta users that can give the rest of us just a little teaser? Are they sworn to secrecy? Go Hogs!

Rik Negus

Post by Rik Negus » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:15 pm

Report on my separate start up disk:

I purchased a Samsung 1TB SSD drive and loaded Mojave on it all with PowerCadd and some other basic applications.
When I do a restart from OS Ventura it takes about 1 ½ minutes to load.
Everything runs really fast loading PC etc.
The only draw back is Mojave does not recognize the Ventura disk so I have to shut down, unplug the Mojave disk, then start up in Ventura.
Overall it is quite workable
I have the benefit of the latest OS and update all the other programs and I have PowerCadd still working as before.
As for transferring files I have a thumb drive which is recognized in both OS's

MWolfe

Post by MWolfe » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:03 pm

Rik: I transfer/access files on various devices (2018 Mini running Mojave, 2020 iMac running Ventura, Parallels Mohave on my iMac, iPhone, iPad) by putting my document and desktop folder in iCloud.
Reasonably flexible as I can run PCadd from both the mini and iMac (I use the Parallels virtual Mojave for small things) & create/access pdfs for communication and portable reference.
Got the entry level intel mini refurbished: very reasonable $ a while back to ride things out. It will take Ventura when PCadd 10 is real, but I'll probably consolidate to Apple m series when that happens. There are rumblings of an m3 iMac later this year.