This File Is Already Open for Modification

PowerCADD & WildTools
gsberwick

Post by gsberwick » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:12 pm

Am a very late upgrader to MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 as I feared PowerCADD issues. Took the plunge, running PowerCADD 9.1.8 (Build RB15).

Every time I open an existing .PC9 file off my MacOS Server (High Sierra) I get the "This file is already open for modification by another user. Would you like to open an additional copy to be saved as a different file?" I do and save-as right on top of the old file.

Seems to not happen to local files on my internal HD. Just files off the Server.

Anybody seen this issue or have any ideas?

PS - User since 1992 with PowerDraw on a Mac ci with a 19" greyscale monitor!

todd@engsw.com
Site Admin

Post by todd@engsw.com » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:06 pm

gsberwick,

This issue is related to a change in the OS - Mojave no longer supports exclusive write access for some volumes. PowerCADD 9.1.8 misinterprets the error result when requesting exclusive write access to mean that someone already has the file open for modification. This issue is corrected with PowerCADD 9.1.10. Here's a download link: http://www.engsw.com/products/powercadd ... -5-update/.

Be aware that PowerCADD 9.1.10 now arbitrates file access with .lockfile's which you will see in the directory, adjacent to the file, during the time you have the file open.

Todd

gsberwick

Post by gsberwick » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:03 pm

9.1.10 did solve my issue. Thought I was on latest and greatest. Thanks Todd!

RRichards

Post by RRichards » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:58 pm

Two questions about the lock files:

1. Can they be made invisible?
2. Can PCADD automatically delete them at startup? I have had some weird problem for a couple of years where at least twice a week my computer freezes—it only happens when either PCAD or SketchUp are running and I have music or a video is playing. I haven't dug deep into the problem as I keep planning on getting a new iMac. My current one is from 2013 and the updates since then only help CAD to minor degrees.

Ralph

kentkirk

Post by kentkirk » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:13 am

Todd,
Thanks for information on .filelock. I was beginning to think something was wrong with this computer,

Kent

RRichards

Post by RRichards » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:04 pm

Came across a problem with file lock today. My main computer bombs probably once a day—only when using PCADD or SketchUP and listening to music/video in the background. I've searched for the problem for a couple of years to no avail.

I restarted the computer and then opened the file I had been working on. I'm presented with the dialog to clear the lock, etc. But underneath is the new file dialog box and neither dialog would accept input/clicks so I had to force quit PCADD, then restart PCADD, then open the file to clear the lock.

Ralph

johncruet48

Post by johncruet48 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:08 pm

Be very careful when porting files from your older Mac to your newer Mac running Mojave, using Migration Assistant.

I did, and the result was problems opening files, as well as problems saving work. Migration Assistant may handle data pertaining to support data for software, but it wreaked havoc on my Permissions. What I did was twofold:

1. I did a straight file transfer from my iMac to my MacBook Pro. Prior to that, I deleted the entire project file from the MacBook Pro- remember, the original copy was on my iMac. The result- no problems with "files already open for modification."

2. I also corrected permissions on both computers which allow me to seamlessly transfer files from the iMac to the MacBook Pro, and vice versa.

I must remember to do this with all my project files, since MS Office and VectorWorks also gave me similar problems.

colinmcc

Post by colinmcc » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:30 pm

I have a number of clients using PowerCADD V9 who are getting this problem. It happens across multiple Operating Systems. 10.12.x, 10.13.x and 10.14.x. The filelock folder appears went the drawing file is either on the desktop or on a server with an accompanying warning message. Nothing goes wrong and the folder disappears when the drawing is closed BUT if PowerCADD crashes when the file is open, you cannot open the drawing again until you manually delete the filelock folder !!