Update of PowerCADD for MacOS Catalina

PowerCADD & WildTools
Scotch2

Re: Update of PowerCADD for MacOS Catalina

Post by Scotch2 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:13 pm

Hey Todd,

First time poster and loyal user. Thanks for the update. I appreciate all that is being done, love the program.

Catalyst

Post by Catalyst » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:03 am

Paul, with PC9 running on an older mac mini, are you able to work off the same Mac computer you use running post Mojave software? I was thinking about doing the same thing, but not sure how the two would interface.

Steve H

Jon Buswell

Post by Jon Buswell » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:25 am

Hi All,

I'm assuming that if PCADD 10 is OK with Catalina, then it will be OK with Big Sur? Is that a fair guess? I expect that trying to keep up with Apple is like plaiting jam, however do you think that you'll be re-writing the code (again) for migration to the new Apple made chips? There's clearly a lot to unpack.

Do you have an idea yet of when PowerCADD 10 will be ready? We are hurdling toward the end of 2020...

Thanks,

Jon Buswell

lava

Post by lava » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:33 pm

Jon Buswell wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:25 am
however do you think that you'll be re-writing the code (again) for migration to the new Apple made chips?
Answers here: https://www.engsw.com/PowerCADDForum/vi ... =2021#p774
At this point we are expecting the release to be summer of 2021
In addition, PowerCADD 11 will be native on Apple Silicon-based computer when it is released. We have been developing on these machines since early June.
so relax - at least 6 months out.

and will run on new Apple chips native - good news, good things coming
Greg La Vardera
www.lamidesign.com

MWolfe

Post by MWolfe » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:18 pm

Thought I'd weigh in with my decisions/experience moving forward, hoping it might provide helpful info:
I decided to upgrade my 2013 iMac running Mojave to the latest 2020 iMac to keep up with the current world.
-- Prior to ordering I spoke with Apple, and was told that I'd be able to start up the new "Catalina" iMac from an external hard drive containing Mojave to run legacy software. Given that I was talking to Apple sales, I treated this with a grain of salt per some obscure references when googling on this question (figuring I could keep my old iMac and or use Parallels for PCadd if necessary).
-- On receipt of the new machine (which did have Catalina installed) I set it up (security wise) to allow booting from an external drive. As I suspected, It did not work with a Mojave external drive. It did boot from a Catalina external drive, and a Big Sur Beta external drive . . . you can see where this is going . . .
-- While not too surprised, I wanted to "due diligence" so, I spent 3-4 phone calls with Apple tech with the simple question: is it possible to boot the new 2020/Catalina iMacs from a Mojave external drive. Every person at Apple tech support (escalating to more senior tech people) told me this was possible-- referring me to various instructions from Apple. Eventually the final senior tech put in an inquiry to Apple engineering. The response from engineering was. "It's not possible to boot from an external HD containing an OS earlier than the OS the machine came with.
-- For now I'm keeping my 2013 iMac as insurance just to run PCadd.
-- I've got PCadd within Parallels installed on the new iMac. I put 64GB of memory (from OWC) into this machine with Parallels in mind. Here's my report on that: It seems to work fine, with a couple of qualifications. I tried it before the memory upgrade, at the stock 8GB and observed a substantial/reassuring difference with the 64GB. Parallels is noticeably snappier and so is PCadd. The only glitch I've seen is on opening up PCadd I receive a "The defaults file could not be created" pop up message. When I click "OK" PCadd opens w/o a specific file opened, but I can use File/New or Open or Open Recent to get what I want. My files are in iCloud which works-- If I shut down PCadd in Parallels and open it on my old iMac i see modifications to files done w/in Parallels.
-- Furthermore, while it's true you can't use 2 monitors to spread the menus in PCadd/Parallels, you can still use 2 screens with Parallels on one, and reference material on the other-- copying text and importing graphics back and forth etc. This is how I've always used my 2nd monitor anyway as the iMac screen has enough elbow room for PCadd for me.

So, there it is--still hoping for getting my old iMac out of the house next summer Todd :-)-- but good to go for now.

poolvibe

Post by poolvibe » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:30 pm

I'm confused. Is PC10 (64 bit) still coming soon and PC11 next year? Or... is PC10 being scrapped in favor of 11?

lava

Post by lava » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:45 am

poolvibe wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:30 pm
I'm confused. Is PC10 (64 bit) still coming soon and PC11 next year? Or... is PC10 being scrapped in favor of 11?
I've just read through a lot of these threads since I found the forum and best I can tell is PC10 and PC11 are the same thing. Perhaps there was a decision to get WT and PC on the same number, so we are going to PC11?

But both are mentioned in these places:

In Mar20 Todd posted this: https://www.engsw.com/PowerCADDForum/vi ... t=170#p591
This mentions PC10 and the set aside of PC9.5 so as to not spend any more time on a 32bit update.

And the link I posted above is from Oct20: https://www.engsw.com/PowerCADDForum/vi ... =2021#p774
This refers to PC11, and a mid 2021 target.
Greg La Vardera
www.lamidesign.com

poolvibe

Post by poolvibe » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:05 am

Thats just the question. Does the post on March 11th 2020 still stand or not?

snydmax

Post by snydmax » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:53 pm

... meanwhile we all wait. I cant/wont run two machines just for Powercadd... suppose I'll hold out a little longer, but today found out I can no longer sync my iphone via cable with my imac running mojave :x

Matt_A

Post by Matt_A » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:48 pm

snydmax wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:53 pm
... meanwhile we all wait. I cant/wont run two machines just for Powercadd... suppose I'll hold out a little longer, but today found out I can no longer sync my iphone via cable with my imac running mojave :x
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwvlbJ0h35A