You can run Powercadd under Catalina

PowerCADD & WildTools
John Bushey

Re: You can run Powercadd under Catalina

Post by John Bushey » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:09 am

Thanks, poolvibe, I considered swiping my son's old PowerBook and doing just that. But there are some advantages with the newer operating system and I would like to make use of them. Eventually, PC will work with Catalina or Big Sur. In the meantime, I am still interested in learning from someone here who has used the partitioned solution.

Anyone? Anyone?

Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:06 am

John,

To run Mojave natively (even on a partition) the Mac will have to be one that supports Mojave. There is a list on the page linked below. There are some 2019 models of iMacs and MacBook Pros but the rest are 2018 Macs and earlier.

But note: even if you get Mac from the list, you may have difficulty getting and installing Mojave if it already has Catalina or Big Sur installed.

https://everymac.com/mac-answers/macos- ... ments.html

If you purchase a newer Mac than on that list you will have use an emulator such as Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion to run a virtual machine with Mojave.

Derek

crowleyab

Post by crowleyab » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:39 pm

Derek wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:06 am
John,

To run Mojave natively (even on a partition) the Mac will have to be one that supports Mojave. There is a list on the page linked below. There are some 2019 models of iMacs and MacBook Pros but the rest are 2018 Macs and earlier.

But note: even if you get Mac from the list, you may have difficulty getting and installing Mojave if it already has Catalina or Big Sur installed.

https://everymac.com/mac-answers/macos- ... ments.html

If you purchase a newer Mac than on that list you will have use an emulator such as Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion to run a virtual machine with Mojave.

Derek
Hi Derek:

I've read all your advice - thank you! I have a new MacBook Pro16 (Core i9) and looked it up on the link you shared above—it's not on it. I noticed that link is from 2019, so maybe my computer came out after that was published? Or maybe it's just not going to work with Mojave. When I downloaded Mojave and followed your instructions, it says it's "not supported on your system." Before I give up entirely, do you think it's possible this will work or should I throw in the towel...

Thanks,
Anne

Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:59 pm

Hi Anne,

Mojave will not run on new Macs. Your only solution on a new Mac is to run Mojave in an emulator like Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion.

Derek

crowleyab

Post by crowleyab » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:21 pm

HI Derek:

Yes, I got that - I was just wondering if the MacBook Pro (16,1) I just got is beyond being able to manage these workarounds. I think the simple answer is yes, as by the time I figure it all out, I could have learned SketchUP ;). It's unfortunate as I've been a dedicated PowerCADD user for 25 years...

Thanks,
Anne